Does any aerate in the state of Florida?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jphag, Sep 7, 2004.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Where and when do you aerate?

John

2. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Do you aerate in Florida? I am moving there and was wondering if I should sell my aerator brefore I move.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sell it...............

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hagemanj

If you have a split wheel aerator that can turn easy bring it. Most property's are small and turning the thing around can be hard work if you have a machine that is hard to turn.

Now many will say Florida sandy soil doesn't need aeration. That is BS. Our sandy soil is calcareous sand and compacts easily. Now most people are from the north and clay soils that need it more. So selling aeration can be an easy job at the right price.

Now I will suggest you wait before moving to Florida. These Hurricanes have made Florida a different state economically. I am not sure Florida will remain a growth area. Insurance will be going sky high and cost of new housing will Double IMHO. However Real estate value has gone the dog.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ric... Just want you to know that I said sell it.. because in my 7 years of experience in Florida I did not aerate nor see anyone else aerate a lawn. Not a single request either.

Whether aeration is necessary... I don't know. I do know that I was way too busy keeping up with the rapid growth of grass, hedges & palms to even have time to offer the service. :dizzy:

However.. you are the man.. if you say bring it.. then bring it. :cool:

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn-Scapes

Yep first time I saw aeration it was TG/CL and I figured it was just another one of their scams to make money. Then I went back to college for horticulture.

I have had a lot of luck with drought tolerance by aerating and top dressing with a organic material. Slops are particularly hard to keep moist without aeration. In general side yards are alway compacted from construction because of a lot of heavy traffic. Calcareous sand has no tensile strength and compacts very easily. Compacted sandy still drains but is slow draining. Aeration is valuable for root growth even in sandy soils. But you are right not many people realize the value. However all of my customer are now open to the idea. They have seen the results.