Does any ECHO users have experience with the larger trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Apr 3, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used the straight shaft SRM 2100 and 2400's I will be in the market for a new trimmer in about 2 weeks. I am looking at the SRM 310 and 310s. Also looking at the 340. Can anybody please give me some firsthand experience with these? Thank you.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I found the 3100 I bought a few years back to be too heavy. My arms ached after a while, even though it's not much extra weight.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

lawnagent,

You say that you have used the 2100's and 2400's and are now wanting a 310 or 340?

Thats a BIG, HUGE jump in class and size. They are from 3 to 5lbs heavier as well!

The only reason I would suggest one of these is if you are using it for brush clearing all day long.

You seemed to jump right past the 260 series. This is the 25cc class that is IDEAL for commercial landscaping. Plenty of power without the weight. I see people talking about power with their string trimmers and how they wish they had more. I NEVER found myself asking that of my 2501 (older cousin to the new 260's) I find most of those people complaining about power are in the 21-23cc class. Jump to the 260 and you'll be happy.

4. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnagent.....try the SRM-260S...it's awesome!!

Great power..a lot more than you have now and very lightwieght and quiet.

You'll never go back!

Good luck!!

5. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

The SRM 260S is great machine plenty of power

6. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

I agree with the above posts. I have an SRM-260S and I love it. It has plenty of power when you need it but yet is comfortable to use for extended periods of time.

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

The 260s is nice like others have said. Only problem I have with it is starting can be a pain somtimes. Mines justa few months old too.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. I also have a 260 and it does fine for string trimming and edging. I did exchange the handle on it for an old style one off a SRM 2400. I'm just used to that style.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

SRM260S has a promo price of $299.00 has a steel shaft

SRM260 is $279.00 with the flex shaft.

Plenty of power and you can use a blade if you wanted to. Sure is alot lighter.

10. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

Turf Technologies try this and see if it makes cranking the 260s easier. Push primer bulb 4 or 5 times. Turn on choke and hold throttle wide open. Pull until you hear motor try to start (usually one or two pulls for me). Then switch choke lever back to run position, hold throttle wide open and pull again. As the motor begins to start (usually one or two pulls) slide the choke lever away from the run position and toward the full choke position a little until it runs smoothly, then slowly return lever to run position. I have found this method works great for me on my echo edgers and trimmers and they always crank in about two to four pulls even when its cold out. Hope this helps.