1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does any know if Nozzle "Blanks"/"caps" exist?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Mar 8, 2013.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Leary sent me a suggestion some time ago about a product called a xeri-cap.

But i cant tell if that replaced just the nozzle, or the riser, spring, and jar-top completely.

I'd like to find and keep on hand about 30 blank nozzles, that would cap off the stem on pop-up heads for instances when searching for leaks.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The guts need to be pulled for the cap to work. We carried a bucket of them for installs, rather than use the crappy orange "flush caps".
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

i know what you mean, any debris larger than the flush outlet, no good.

do you have anything for capping nozzles, (ie. if you only need to stop flow on a zone for leak detection & were meaning to replace the original nozzle after diagnosis)

a nozzle cap?
  4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

you could take some old nozzles and epoxy the openings shut from the inside.... that would keep the water from flowing through them.
  5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Assuming they were installed with the screen like they were supposed to be, I just screw the "flow control" on teh nozzle down and turn the flow off to look for leaks. It takes less time than it would to change every nozzle to a blank.

To answer your specific question, I looked for blank nozzles a few years ago and couldn't come up with anything.
  6. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Rainbird still makes the xeri cap for 1800's its in the catalog with their drip stuff. Hunter makes a blank nozzle for PGP's, its on the Gray low angle tree.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've done that, as well. That's the neat thing about the shut-offs that Hunter & RB offer for some of their rotors :clapping:
  8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

VANs work for this purpose
  9. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada LawnSite Member

if you install a hunter filter with a rainbird nozzle, no water will spray out of the nozzles. :canadaflag:
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A squirt of silicone caulk will make an old rotor nozzle into a blank.