does any one discount?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have a min price of $25 for small yards. i did one est today for a guy that called me sat. i gave him the price of $25wk, he asked if he got me 5 others next door if i could do them for $20 each? does anyone here do this?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

id do his for 20.0 but everybody els for the 25.0 . He who brings the business get the discount. I offer a ten percent discount for referrals

3. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

We tried this same approach, Went into a neighborhood that had similar sized lots and bid all properties, large and small 27.00 Mow trim edge blow, so we should average about 3 lawns an hour. Well it works nice, we average about 2.5 an hour so we dont make $35.00 hr like we try to. But there is no drive time, we are there for 4 hours and we do 12 to 14 properties. but even on a good...

8 working hr day. 3 an hour. 24 lawns at 27 dollars = $648.00 would be nice for a 2 man crew

it really works out to
    8 hr, 2.5 hr = 20 lawns or $540.00 a day. Still not terrible for a 2 man crew.

So If you are mowing all 5 at 20.00 and it takes your 2 man crew 1.25 hours to do them all. thats still what. $40.00 hr for 5 lawns. It depends on trimming edging blowing and your crew. Its your decision

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

No, I would not discount any of them. I might would have last year but not with todays gas prices and all other increased cost we have incurred recently. I used to try things like this and offer "incentives" to get new clients and it bit me in the arse just about every time.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First off, I would say if you have to ask, then the answer is no. Reason I say this is it should come to you naturally, I don't mean this in a bad way but as to say having doubts is not good for business, it is like a type of omen.

I agree for the most part the above is also true. I did it once and what a friend told me holds true: One or the other will leave and you're stuck with the other(s) AT the discount rate, and it is true ESPECIALLY with 2 yards I had that and then one left and finally after the year was OVER I was able to restore the other's price. But this was THEM swinging the deal, I'll get back to this in a minute.
    I have ONE situation where 2 elderly ladies have 2 yards next to each other and I treat them as 1 lot but I get ONE check per visit: One pays me once, the other the next time and it is understood I do them both at the same time.

That one was my idea and not theirs because as a rule I don't look too kindly upon customers trying to swing deals for me, that's just another version of them taking hold of the rudder and I don't care for it when ppls attempt to drive my boat.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with topsites. On the other hand, I did make a deal like that a month ago with 3 properties, but I added my own stipulation. I told them that if one person stops service, or asks me to skip a week, the others will be billed at my regular rates. I don't expect for this to work out well in the end, but if it does...that's cool.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't give a $5 discount per lawn...that's 20% off the original price, a little too generous. You should BENEFIT, dollar-wise, from having multiple lawns at a stop. At 20% you're most likely getting the short-end of it. I find 5% is a fair percentage.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i like to know ahead of time if they're plannin on doing this sort of tactic, this way you can build it into the price. I have a "cluster" package I offer for 3 or more neighbors who sign up together (new only), 5% or $5 off each week. Of course you know this ahead of time and charge them $33 instead of $30 and then with the discount you're down to $28, so they think they're making out on the deal.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

well i mowed 2 reg Clients, today, and just picked up 4 more (these don't know the dis count guy) on the same street. I got these for $25 each and for $5 more, I'm doing the community grass (15'x75') that now the home owner has to cut up to a lake. And it takes me no more than 10-15min per lawn.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

form me, i say, one neighbor signs up for the year (offer only available in the spring or early summer), you get one free cut.....