Does any one have a recommended price per sq ft on fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grnbld, Mar 22, 2006.

1. grnbld

grnbld LawnSite Member

I know everyone's wholesale buying prices are different and allows for different pricing per product, but is there a standard per Sq Ft or a minumum? Kind of like in the mowing business no one should be mowing a yard under $35 $40.
  2. Fertboy

Fertboy LawnSite Member

I would set a min for the drive & time ours is $45 min, except a town home $30. This is real tricky to price,too many factors fert,fuel,payroll,overhead,& your local market. I live in the sticks . Drive an hr away and I could get 15% more easily. Do a search for prices , pricing alot will come up.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Too many things to consider to give an answer. Depends on your costs, your hourly rate needs, your area. For me, it's $4/1000 sf with a $35 minimum, with a couple real rare exceptions. Large open areas (more than 2 acres) get a little break, but not much.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm at 3.85/1000 with a 35.00 minimium, I was wondering if I was off but seeing your rate I figure I'm right in there.
    Gained 50 acres worth of accounts last week as sub work at that rate, hope fert prices don't go up too much this year.
  5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I see guys here getting $5-$7 per 1000, and I feel like such a lowballer, but I know my costs and I know what I need to charge to be competitive, so it's all good. I'm not hurting with $4/k.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can only dream about rates that high.
  7. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

We use a $45.00 minimum, unless it's in a tight neighborhood and we sign up two or more, then 35.00. $4.50 per K this year, sometimes more depending on the situation. When I first started spraying 17 years ago I didn't know what to charge, I started out charging 8.50 per K. And sold my first several accounts. Realized later that wasn't going to fly on the larger lawns. Just goes to show you that you can actually get more than you think.
  8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I feel like a broken record. But......... those prices would be high in my area. If I can get $4/k I feel like I hit a home run. I think it's great if you can get it and I think it's worth it. I just see large independents in my area driving the cost of this service way down. I hear people come on here and complain about TGCL. I see more unhappy customers and poor quality work from them than I see low pricing. It just goes to show that each area is different.
  9. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Also depends on your niche. I charge well over $6 per thousand -- my product costs are much higher than the average company. However, the niche that I sell to is willing to pay that price for what I deliver.
  10. Landscape Service

Landscape Service LawnSite Member
    from zone 5b

The prices all of you are mentioning per k is for labor only or labor and materials?