does any one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

does any one trim the weeds that grow in the cracks in drive ways and side walks. is it worth the extra time? or should this be a extra service?
    thanks alex
    don't mind my spelling
  2. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

look out!! ;)
    they just had a thread making fun of a young guy trimming the cracks instead of spraying.

I occasionally spray vinegar on the plants, but otherwise usually trim them.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends. If it is a sidewalk,driveway that gets very little weeds then yes.

If it is a sidewalk,driveway that has lots of cracks for weeds then no. You can spend a lot of time on some of those old driveways. I tell them to spray a Roundup type product in the cracks.

Only quote I gave was for $25 for a very badly cracked driveway that would take 30 minutes to get rid of the weeds. This is dangerous work on those old cracked driveways with broken concrete and rocks flying at your face using a trimmer.

They didn't take me up on my price and they never have sprayed Roundup yet this year.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually, if there are a few weeds growing up in cracks, I will hit them qucik with a trimmer, but only a few. For example, I spent probably 10-15 minutes trimming weeds from cracks at an apartment building a couple days ago, and it was billed as "weed controll".
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Often times the extra stuff is ONE way to make money on commericial but charging to trim grass out of cracks is a stretch. Most residential won't stand for the charge either!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

90 percent of the time we do it all.
  7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just buy a $15 thing of roundup concentrate, put it in your handheld or backpack sprayer and spray all the weeds in the cracks on each driveway. Do this once or twice a season and the customers will see you appreciate their business and you will be rewarded with a happy customer.

-Mark Wood
  8. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

It depends alot on how much money you're making on the yard. If it's a good paying yard, don't charge more, make it look better than the rest of the yards on the street. If the money isn't that good, charge for spraying weeds to make some money. If the customer doesn't want to pay it, fine, just don't spend alot of time there. Time is money, anything that takes ALOT of extra time has to be charged for, or you end up losing your rear over time.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If the client pays for weed control in the beds then we take care of the crack weeds each time we spray the beds.

If they don't, then they get wacked down every couple of months.

It is more often than they would do it so most are happy.
    If they complain then the get re-offered the weed control package. Politely saying pay up or shut up.
  10. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Exactly what WoodBrothers said