Does any use "old school" gravelys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Sep 17, 2007.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

You know the one with the round deck in front? My dad has a couple and I was wondering if it would be useful for anything, since he said I'd have to put some work into it; I thought it might be good for clearing high weeds. I'll try to find a picture of one.

2. LawnMowerMan2003

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A lot of folks still use those 2-wheel tractors. There has never been another machine that compares for cutting brush and heavy undergrowth in tight spaces or on steep hillsides. There is a guy in San Antonio that has quite a collection of those tractors, that he has restored. Can not remember his name right now.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Holy cow man thats an old nutbuster. Gravelys are built about 30 minutes from here but I haven't seen one of those around. Thats a classic.

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

that is the gravely convertable.not only did it mow there were all sorts of other things that could go on the front of that thing. i have even seen one that had a scraper to tear off the rubber and tar flat roof's on big buildings

6. LawnMowerMan2003

Wouldn't that be difficult to get on top of a roof?

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It was very common to use Gravely tractors on roofing jobs. They did sell special attachments for roofing work and advertised them quite heavily. I guess they used a hoist of some type to lift them onto roofs

8. LawnMowerMan2003

Well, I learn something new everyday lol I guess the best use for me would be for high grass/brush, if the work needed is not too expensive.

9. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I still have a knot in my sternum from the handlebars whipping back into me and knocking me clean off a Gravely like that. Hurt like heck, one wheel dipped into a divot, the bars came back and I was on my back with the gravely still marching along through the brush. What a fricking BEAST that thing was to run.

Durable, but savage on uneven ground.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i have seven of them.....with decks, snow blades, and rotary brooms....

we use them exclusively for snow removal so the decks are sitting in my tool shed taking up space. So they see about 5-10 hours of use each year.

parts are hard to find, and not cheap when you do find them....

Most of mine have "dauly" wheels with chains on em...I'll have to dig up some pics