Does anybody but Tanaka make an ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, May 12, 2007.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody beside Tanaka make an extended reach trimmer? I want to buy a Tanaka but there isn't a dealer within 30 miles of me and the closest dealer doesn't answer their phone. I've sent their rep here on Lawnsite 2 PMs after he asked for my contact info and it's been a while now and he still hasn't gotten back to me.

Most trimmers have around a 58" shaft and the Tanaka has a 71" shaft.

I did find one that has a 62.5" shaft but I'd like a longer one.

The 62.5" trimmer is a Patriot brand trimmer powered by a weak (.75 hp) Briggs 4 stroke.

http://www.patriot-products-inc.com/trimmerspecsht.htm

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My Echo is 58"

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

man those suckers are heavy! 13.5 lbs for a trimmer? damm the epa!

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious- why do you need a 6 foot long shaft on your trimmer? are you 9 ft tall? Just trying to figure out what you need it for ? I'm 5 foot 5, and my shaft actually seems a bit long. but I get that alot.

5. Richard Martin

We have some wide, deep ditches here and my back is killing me from all the bending over to get the grass in these ditches.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl Kombi system has an extension piece for the Pole saw that I use as an extension on the weedwhacker, too. I think its 3 or 4 feet long.:waving: :waving:

7. Richard Martin

37" to be exact DiyDave! I'm heading over to my local Stihl dealer as soon as they open. Thanks!

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have one. it can get heavy

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We use echo trimmers and I am 5'10" and after more than 1 yard my lower back starts to hurt. I find myself slightly in a hunched over possition. I think a longer shaft trimmer would help this. What do you guys think?

10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

You would most likely benefit from the longer shaft.
    I know I was hunched over slightly with my old Toro Trimmer, the first time I picked up my Husqvarna....it felt good. No hunching anymore.