Does anybody do christmas lights in the fall and winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Quality, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

need info/ in starting
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO that would be the best time.:(
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

do a search.....It's been talked about many of times
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got a great idea, how bout, make enough money from march-november, and screw the xmas lights?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There's one LCO around here I know of that does this. Some X-mas light company came in and trained his employees. Not sure of the cost or anything much else about it. Saw it on his website.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we started offering this a couple winters ago:
    1. at least in my area, its a tough sell
    2. those that do want it, call at the last minute and tell you the lights are in a box in the bsmt..tangled, not working, etc
    3. we've decided its more of a hassle than its worth altough we've kept a few commercial accounts where we use red/green spot lights with wreaths etc as these are easy to put up take down.

when I look at the revenue versus the hassles, it doesn't past the cost/benefit test imho
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

that and sit around and wait for some snow...
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hey Rod...with all the rain here and in NJ, do you yet have webbed feet? I Hear you guys in NJ have been getting soaked worse than us...
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Officially where I'm at we got 13.35 inches of rain in NW New Jersey for the month of July...some places in south Joysee got 20 inches of the wet stuff. Web feet? Not yet but I ain't counting that out LOL.

BTW, it's Sunday August 1st and pouring outside this morning...
  10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The initial year of set up on lights is the toughest.

Last year I think we did 13-14 places. We don't decorate much other than the building, usually run lights and garland under the gutter, and down whatever columns/posts that may be there.

Usually, most properties get the lights, garland, and one wreath. The wreath is wrapped with lights as well. All lights are put on timers.

We've figured out that you can put 6 strands of lights together before the little POS fuses blow, so that helps some. Don't anyone jump me on exceeding manufacturer specs on this, I DON'T want to hear it!

Like I said, the biggest hassle is the first year on a property. You have to install all of the eye screws, figure out how long the garland needs to be, figure out your electrical connection, etc, etc, etc. You need to write down how long the garland is in various spots on the property so it can be cut to length beforehand for the next year.

Thinking back, last year we did 9 banks, 1 pizza place, and the rest were residentials. All of those were done starting on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and were completed before Thanksgiving. We found out that drywallers stilts help a LOT at the banks! Beats having to climb up and down ladders and move them all the time.

We usually have 4-6 people at a site, and the time on site varies due to the size of the site.

As far as I know, we charge the customer an "initial set-up" fee, which includes all of the lights to be used. We then store the lights for the next year. We've gotten to the point where 50% or less of the lights will work from year-to-year, so that's a consideration in the yearly cost.

All lights are, at a minimum, doubled up in the runs across the building and up and down the columns. The garland is put up first, and the lights are secured to the garland. Zip-ties are a WONDERFULL thing! Nail aprons and pruners or side cuts are the standard tools.

Any more ???'s? I've kinda rambled here, but I hope it helps. Holiday lighting probably isn't the most profitable thing in the world, but it keeps us busy and produces a little cash flow.... PM me if you need/want more info on how we do it.