does anybody do this?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fblandscape, Sep 2, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have a policy about billing new clients and was wondering if anybody else does this. When I do work for the first time for a client I get paid either that day, or the next. After they have paid me for the first service, whatever that may be I will start them on another plan of their choosing. That may mean I get paid once at the end of the month, or every couple of weeks, or just send them a bill once the total gets high enough, whatever. There have probably only been a handful of times where I have not been paid upon first servicing an account. The one that sticks out in my mind from the past was that I was told up front that the client cuts their checks on the last day of the month.

Does anybody do anything similar to that? I find that it helps me to find out who is going to be a big problem with money or what not in the future.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Fblandscape,

That sounds like an interesting idea to feel the customer out. If you can, please let us know how that works after you try it for a bit.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Gopher, I am dropping a $425 a cut account because they still haven't paid me for the work I did last week. First service....

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I always get a signed contract and paid either before, or the same day after completion of the first cut. After that I will bill them for maintenance ONLY on a monthly basis. I will not bill them for anything other than maintenance. I also state that any 2 late payments within a season will resort them to a cahs only basis. :cool:

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I bill monthly, and get the first month in advance for everyone, except some commercial customers that are well known, national chains.

6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

billed monthly, due 10 days. should do more contracts.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I bill customers usually every 3 weeks, within the due date, depends on what time they receive the bill, but most have 18 to 21 days to pay.

8. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I get a signed agreement and a check for the first time i cut when i finish. After that it's monthly billing up to $500, then it's billed every 2 weeks.Relays to them what i expect in a good paying customer i think. :)

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Billed monthly, due on receipt. Extension is only till I process the next billing. Then we suspend service. (started this this year)

And the strange thing is I have more people now stretching.......