1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody have experience using Servicemagic?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by EveningIllumination, May 6, 2010.

1. EveningIllumination

EveningIllumination LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I am looking for more/other/inexpensive marketing methods. I have been talking to a rep from servicemagic. I think their per lead price seems a little high to me at $12.00/$18.00 per lead. Of coarse if these leads turn into jobs that is a cheap price for a lead but, the rep can not give me any hard data on actual good leads vs tire kickers.

Does anybody here have any experience with this type of service? Any and all information and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Have A Great Day!!
    B.R.

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

There have been several threads on this subject. Type 'Service Magic' in the search forum feature and you will get more than you will probably care to read.

3. EveningIllumination

Sorry - I typed in servicemagic and didnt' get much. Thank You - I'll try that.

4. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, they are horrible. I did it for a little while years ago before they changed their structure. It is even worse now. You would get a lead and if you called back instantly, someone had already won the job. You would still get charged for the lead though, good deal.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I am using them now and have been for a couple of months. Received 6 leads or so, all were totally out of category and I was charged anyway. I am in agreement, they suck.

6. EveningIllumination

Thank You Guys -- I appreciate the information. I will look for other marketing outlets.

7. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

The people that use Service Magic as a contractor locater are probably also going to use every Local search engine that they can find. You can usually get a fairly complete and comprehensive listing on these sites for FREE. It ain't like an ad in 'The New Yorker', but what the hey, it is still exposure.

8. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I have to say I have had a different experience with service Magic. I think it is definitely not the best sometimes , but the ones that do call and you can get to quickly are good leads( at least for me ) .

I have sold over $8k of work and spent $300 so far since October. I got another $6k or so in holiday lighting. Even the ones I dont sell now are decent leads and go into my database of contacts. The people seem to be already a little more ready to go because they have to go through a little bit of work to get the lead in the SM system. And the usual insurance and liicensing BS are out of the way by the time you see them.

I have an appt. tomorrow that wants a total re-do on 2.5 acres. 15 Merc vapor moonlightss and 130 Par 36 well lights from 1998. Unique transformers in use still spotless. It is a 2nd appt. from a Service Magic lead.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL. I think Unique sold mostly cheap plastic PAR36 well lights back in those days.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I too have sold several jobs using service magic, but they do send leads that are worthless. but then, I get worthless leads from the several grand I spend on yellow pages, worthless leads from yard signs, and worthless leads from referrals. etc.