Does Anybody Recomend Any Software For Manageing This Buisness???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A-Z LAWNCARE, Dec 8, 2002.

1. A-Z LAWNCARE

A-Z LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

HELLO

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY BODY HAD ANY FEED BACK ON SOFTWARE OUT THERE FOR OUR INDUSTRY THEY MAY HAVE TRIED AND LIKED, OR IF ANY BODY USES ANY SOFTWARE CURRENTLY.

JUST WONDERING AND LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE?

ALEX
    A-Z LAWN CARE INC.:dizzy:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what you're utilizing currently for your accounting program. There are a FEW different programs out that work very well. First, you have to consider two things. How much do you have to keep track of currently, and how much (where are your projections) do you intend on keeping track of in the near future? (next 2-3 years). First, for accounting, you have a choice. You can go with one of these small packages, like "My Deluxe Software", which offers your basic invoicing, statement, estimates, and so forth, (and does a pretty good job, I might add) for a relatively cheap price. This is great for a small business, like a solo operator. Next up, you have packages like Quicken (a few different versions of packages) which will also do taxes and payroll for you. Next up, you have packages like Quickbooks and Quickbooks Pro, which are both offered by Microsoft. Now, THESE are EXCEllent packages for ANY business, as it can figure payroll, taxes, and many other operations along with that. Now, to get to the REAL deal. The packages for US. These programs work WITH the accounting package of QB Pro. There are a few great packages out there, and two of the probable most common are CLIP and Lawn Monkey. Clip has done some improvements in the last few years, from what I understand, and Lawn Monkey has ALWAYS offered many great features including routing and estimating to go with all the other features anyone would need for this business. The best thing to do is to research each one, and ask people who have used both, to dtermine which is best for you. Obviously, depending on your size and volume, there are programs that are best suited for your needs. I hope this helps, and there are plenty of otheres on here that use or have used these different packages. You will learn aLOT more from them than you will from me. :D Good luck, and I hope whatever package you choose, it will suit you just perfectly.;)

3. A-Z LAWNCARE

A-Z LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I WILL CHECK INTO THIS CLIP PROGRAM I HAVENT HERD OF THIS ONE YET .

I HAVE A DEMO OF LAWN MONKEY IT IS 2844.00 FOR THE COMPLETE PROGRAM ( OUCH)

AZ:alien:

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will undoubtedly get many replys to this post reccommending Clip, Lawn Monkey, Quickbooks Pro and many more. They are all large programs that require you to spend several hundred dollars and are so complicated (IMHO) that you'll wish you hired a bookeeper. I've been using a program called Medlin Accounts Receivable for the last 10 years or so and it costs less than $50. It's simple to learn and use. You can e-mail statements and invoices from it if you want. It's easily cutomisable and will print invoices/statements to plain paper or pre-printed forms. It does NOT have any type of scheduleing module. But if you're like me or most of the people on this board, you don't have more than 100 customers to begin with so you should be able to schedule that many using index cards or a simple calendar. You can try Medlin for free by downloading it from their website at www.medlin.com It's a small program so it doesn't take long to download either.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you really need the full blown version of LM? I doubt it, but if you do, look into leasing it. You can lease it for a couple hundred per yr and the lease payments are direct write offs. Not so expenseive now in my opinion.

Turn off your capps.

6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have had Clip since 1992 and it has been good for me.
    They have a quick-clip that is very affordable and it can be upgraded as your business grows. I have a friend that bought a different program at the same time and his no longer offers support.
    He is switching to Clip but is having to enter all his customers and if loosing years of customer history. If you plan to grow your business don't pick software you will out grow!

7. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I see you are in springfield mo. there is a dealer for clip in springfield.

8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking for software that will run on a Mac computer. Any ideas? Iv'e been pondering the clip program for awhile. If there isn't a Mac version,I'll have to buy a PC.

9. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I bought Clip in '97. What a WASTE of MONEY!
    I spent $800 for the software , they said I could try it and return it if I didn't like it. Yeh right, I tryed to return it within the 30 days, when I called the guy convinced me to keep it for a few more days. When I call back the same guy tells me theres "NO WAY" he's taking it back because now it's "past 30 days". (32 days as I recall)

Then, they never even gave me a registration#.
    Did you know you have to get a registation # from them even after you fork over the big $$$ for the software. Without the reg# the software won't work. What kind of Co. is that? Seems they are more concerned with piracy then they are with paying customers.

If you use the software for a while and decide you want to go a different route, they CHARGE YOU to sell the software to someone else. ($300 for the program I had, a user Re-registration fee they call it)

They will promise you the world untill they get your check. After they have your money forget it!

That's OK though because I personaly DON'T want to run my company with a computer program that opens with a cartoon. A goofy cartoon at that!

Just my 2.5 cents. I would look elseware.
    BTW, they STILL have my $800 and I still DON'T have a reg#, I'm pretty sure thats theft.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I purchased the Lawn Monkey program almost a month ago and like it so far. They have a support forum right here on lawnsite.com I paid $749 for my version.

Good luck
    MATT