Does anyone accept payment through Paypal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Was thinking this might be a good idea to accept payment through Paypal. Does anyone do this? If so, how has your experience been with it?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I do not and in fact have not really thought about it. However, it sounds like it might be a good idea. This way, a customer can pay with a credit card, even thought you do not accept credit cards, but paypal does.

If someone accepts payments this way, please share, I would be interested to know how it works.
  3. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My wife runs her business with it. I was actually thinking of the idea a couple of weeks ago but have yet to go with it.
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I use it.

Usually for out of towners that have properties here.
    I'll do the estimate, send pics, call the customer, and get paid....... all while sitting in the driveway of a vacant house.
  5. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I accept credit cards. Some of my weeklies pay with it, but mostly it is for my spring clean ups and other services which cost significantly more.
  6. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Do a google search for paypal complaints. Then tell me what you think.
  7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

picked up five or six clients because of it. Wife loves it, says it's easier to keep everything in order with it.
  8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

you talking about the sites like once ebay took over it got a lot better

the only thing wrong with paypal is the buyer could 90% of the time get there money back with a bullshit complaint or excuse
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Pay Pal for a few clients that are out of town, and a few in town that prefer it. Only thing I dont like about it is the 3% they take...Im so tight I hate even losing 3%!!!! But...I usually tell my clients its a buck more to use biggie.
  10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

The 3% per transaction that Paypal takes is better then the 3.9% that the merchant services credit card company would take from you, on top of the $35 per month maintenance fee and the credit card machine equipment rental.

So I figure that the 3% is not too bad. I have set up my paypal for business but I need to get the word out about it on my next flier.