Does anyone actualy rake yards in the spring?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Duramax8832, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I have a few "old timers" that are willing to pay me hourly to rake by hand there whole yard. I also have a few multiple acre commercial accounts, there is no way in hell im gonna rake..id be there for days, and they would never pay the bill it would create. So my question is what do you guys do, power rake them? Im pretty sure guys around here only power rake every few years. Also will the power rakes damage sprinkler heads?

2. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. And what is the avg rate? Do most people want the brush/leaves, ect, off of there prop?

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats what spring clean-ups are for. we do Spring clean-ups the same as Fall's. blow out all the beds run it over with the mowers and then bag it.

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

NO RAKEING FOR ALMOST NO PRICE:laugh: :nono: :laugh:

5. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

power raking-- recommended every 3 to 4 years only during dormancy

I charge $100 for an average yard (10,000 sq. ft. lot size) good way to jumpstart the season

6. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I was curious, I always remembered my Dad and Grandfather rakeing the hell out of the lawn every spring. Then they would get out the propane flame thrower and burn up any left over thatch. I always thought they where nuts, but i wasnt sure if it was the norm.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What's a rake?

8. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on the yard. I have one that has alot of those damn pine needles all over the place and the only way to get them up is to rake them but other than that I just blow off the yard or use the vac and go. Raking commercial accounts or large residential yards........NO Way.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Its a nasty four letter word that we should have auto censured
    :cry: :laugh: