does anyone budget for engine/tranny replacement?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac V2.0, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Im curious if anyone adds a lil change to their hourly rate to set aside for engine/tranny replacement. If you guys do that, then how do you budget it.... what im trying to get at is

-after how many hours do you expect an engine to fail
    -after how many hours do you expect your pumps/motors to fail?

If you expect it to fail at 2xxx hours, then do you automaticly replace it just to avoid downtime, or do you wait til it dies and then remedy it?

Reason i ask is that im looking at a mid-high hour mower and i cant decide how much life is left in it's components. (yes bob, i still havnt ruled it out)

2. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

ttt, please anyone?

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Replaced my Kohler 1 1/2 years ago on my 1997 Toro. I was lucky, Mr. Kohler was kind enough to give me a warning his time was near. Ordered a new engine from www.j-thomas.com , scheduled an appointment with my mechanic and had zilcho downtime.

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'd just go up to a certain amount of hours and then replace the machine before it starts nickel and diming me.

2,000 hours doesn't seem out of the relm of possibilty as long as PM has been done.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone of my mowers I set aside money for. I have a seperate account that I have just for my equipment. Every week I take money and put in that account and never withdraw it untill I am ready to buy new equipment. My walkbehinds it usually takes me about 1500 hours before I have enough money to buy another one, but I run them till they are totally dead. I have one right now that has over 3600 hours and is still running strong.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I cross those bridges when I come to them.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always budget for approx $3,000 misc expenses a year in regards to stuff that pops up. Truck repairs, mower repairs, replacement of 2 cycle equipment, etc. I have never gone through all $3,000. The most I did was I think $1,800 and that was last year. (fuel pump on truck, tranny in mower, replaced a trimmer, starter on truck)

8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

When I built my cost of doing business Excell spreadsheet, I figured in depreciation costs, which in my thinking is not only a tax deduction, but treated as an expense a savings account for purchasing new equipment when the old wears out.

Randy

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I set aside money for new equiptment. for every piece of equiptment I have I allow for 1/2 the price a year.
    So take a 3500 machine and I will have put 1750 in an account for new machine. I am hoping in 3 years my current equiptment will still be running and I will have enough for almost 2 new machines and so on and so on. I do this for all equiptment right downt to the shovel and such. I know that there are problems here and there but have a maintenance account for every piece of equiptment and yes even the shovel. Last year I had over 5 grand in the account for left over maintenance and new equipment account. In esience I guess I have money to cover a major problem if it were to arise. HOPE NOT!