Does anyone cut like THIS???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hobbes, Jun 23, 2001.

1. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Saw an LCO across the street from where I was working today. Two guys start by blowing all the surfaces, drive, walk, back deck(i assume)etc., then both trim the place, one with stick edger. Next they cut, using 21's with bag, easily could have been mulched with a 36. Then they blow the surfaces again. This was a small res, prop. Wondering if anyone else goes by this method. I haven't seen it in our area before & it took twice the time we could do it in. Wondering how much they charge. We charge pretty much the going rate in our area. They must be charging alot more.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If I do a heavy edgeing or string trimming, sometimes I will blow after that but before I mow, then do a final blowing at the very end after mowing. Just hate to finish and blow big chunks of edging and clippings on top of perfectly cut turf.

But this guy your talking about just doesn't make any sense?

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If there has been a wind storm and there are leaves all over the driveway, we take the Choppers and blow them out into the lawn so we can mulch them up. In the fall, we do take the blower and blow off side walks and patio's so we can mulch the leaves also. When we get done with the lawns, we just run over the driveway again to blow off anything that got on it while we were mulching leaves.

On a weekly mow, we do not do this. Yes it would cause extra work for sure.

4. script

script LawnSite Member

In the fall when there are leaves or other debris, we'll edge and trim, then blow the walks and driveways. We then mulch the yard with the walk behind and blow walks again. I do this so that I'm not blowing leaves back onto a clean cut yard. The only time I'd do this in the spring or summer would be after edging a first cut yard with over grown edges. I'll edge then blow all the clippings into the yard to be mulched by the mower. Usually doesn't take more than 5-10 extra minutes.

Bobby

5. hobbes

hobbes Banned

wanted to add one more thing. I went over to take a look at the prop after they left & it didn't look any better than it would have had we mulched, trimmed & blown it. The stick edger mabe gave the drive edge a slightly sharper look but for the time it took I couldn't see a noticable difference. There were only a few Oak keys on the surfaces to start, we would have blown them on the street or in beds after trimming.

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not neccesarily so! Believe it or not they are probobly making less. I figure if they were making more they would get some bigger mowers. (But thats a whole nother arguement that I DON'T want to start in this thread) ;)

7. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Guido,
    They were using top line comm equipment, trimmers, blowers, 21's. All the best stuff. Didn't look like scrub material.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

What they got going on over there! :)

Hmmm..... It just seems to me, and like you noticed, for the extra time they take to do the job with their process and the smaller mowers, doesn't seem like they would be able to price competitively in any market. If I get paid (just an easy # for an example) $50 for an hour lawn that I do with my 48", stick edge, and give the same quality as them, that means they would have to be charging $100 for the same lawn because it takes them double the time??

9. hobbes

hobbes Banned

These are $30-$35 lawns, about 15-20 min for a good 2 man crew. These guys took about 35 min.. Would love to see their advertising & prices.

10. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I use professional equipment and have never mulched. I started out catching most lawns and still do. Most of my customers prefer it. I'm not going to buy another deck for my Walker so that I can mulch on demand. Just to easy to catch and dispose of.

Our standard procedure has always been to edge and then blow before cutting. Doesn't take any longer no matter when you do it. You are doing exactly the same jobs, just in different order.

Regards blowing into the street, I'm kinda shocked to hear that any professional LCO would do that. The only people I see doing that are scrubs and some homeowners.

Cleve.