Does anyone do anything in the winter to make money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcare, Sep 8, 2004.

1. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Besides snow plowing, what do some of you do during the winter when the grass stops growing. I am looking for some idea! Thanks!

Forest likes this.
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

This is a great topic that I was just about to start and you beat me to it.

3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I know its not the kind of answer you are looking for but I am going to get a p/t job at sears, home depot or similar to get discounts on tools, stuff for my house etc...

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I live for snow plowing. I just mow the rest of the year to fill in some extra time I have on my hands...lol

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you're willing to use your own vehicle, there a lot of delivery type jobs available.

6. MFLC

MFLC LawnSite Member

This question has got me worried. It's all I have been thinking about the last week. I live in Texas, so no snow blowing for me. The problem is I finally have two excellent guys working for me and I don't want to loose them over the winter and have to start looking all over again next spring. Some ideas would be much appreciated.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago, I worked for a florist delivering flowers. Turned out to be a great way to get my business card in someone else's hand.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

In the winter months the following is done: snow removal, salting, sanding, firewood, decorating homes with holiday lights and tree removals. Some of the other members of the site get temporary jobs such as stocking shelves or working at Lowes or Home Depot.

Gravely_Man

9. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

I refinish basements and bathrooms during the winter.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

besides the snow, which is excellent money, I just set up something today, definitely going to sell christmas trees after thanksgiving. waiting for news on a supplier, but the space is a definte. I'm actually alittle nervous, something new. I feel like i did when i first started on my own cutting grass. i also put some extra landscape tasks like gravel and brushcutting off until after christmas if the customers don't mind waiting. i tell them if they wait, i can give them a better price. But i've been fortunate to have enough snow that i haven't had to worry too much.

i love hanging out with my daughter all winter, waking up 10:00!!