1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does anyone do snow shoveling/salting services?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowingismylife, Jan 28, 2004.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

Hey all since i didn't have a 4x4 and snow plow i went out and started doing snow shoveling and salting services for sidewalks,driveways and so on. i was wondering if anyone else does this? if so what is the starting rate for this service? Because so far i have just been able to nail one church down for this service and gave a few estimates and one lady told me my price was 2x higher than the other peoples estimate. so i just want to know what the going rate is or starting rate and if any one else does this? I am from the West Milton Area near Dayton so if any one is Near that area and does this i would love to get some feed back. Thanks
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I started this year doing residential snow removal (driveways & sidewalks) . I charge them the same as a typical lawn service, about $30 - $35 per snow storm (approx 1/2 hour per yard). I only show up if there is at least 2 inches of snow that has fallen. Best part is I don't have to carry the expensive snow plowing insurance since it's just snow blowing.

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

We just snowblow some of our mowing clients. We charge $70 per hour $25 minimum. We charge by the hour because obviosly a foot of snow is going to take longer than 4 inches.
  4. mowingismylife

hey thanks for the input. do you guys just remove the snow or remove the snow and do salting? if you do salting also do you put it all in one price or one price for snow removal and one price for salting? i have been been having one price for snow shoveling and one for salting. Do you think you get more calls when there is like a really big snow fall? Because so far this year where i live its only snowed 2 times once we didn't get any calls and we only had like 2 or 3 inchs of snow and this past weekend snowfall we got 3 to 6 inchs and a few calls nothing to much because it really wasn't to bad. thanks for your input
  5. bigshoe

bigshoe LawnSite Member

I have been helping a friend do snow removal this year, and what we do is charge separately. Some places do not want salt so we don't but like last night we had just a dusting and it was slick from the snow melting and re freezing so the customers that normally want it got it. The other reason for charging separately is the amount of salt you use if it is not to bad you use little if it was like last night we almost doubled it. You do not want to loose money on it, so what I am basically saying is charge per bag I hope this helps.
  6. mowingismylife

hey what part of ohio are you from? by the bag sounds good. i never thought of that. I have just been charging like $5 to $15 for salting. but by the bag would work pretty good thanks
  7. bigshoe

bigshoe LawnSite Member

Mowing I am from Columbus, From what I have seen this seems to be the best way to do it. This way if you get an ice storm or something like that where you have to put extra down you do not loose money.

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I plow snow and shovel some sidewalks for residentals I charge $50.00 as a base the longer the drive the higher the price. For commercial we base it on sq ft and by inch of snow. You said you have 1 church, well I plow 8 churches smallest being 16 space lot. and I charge $135 plus salt. For salt I charge by the bag @ $8.95 for a 50# bag. Hope this helps you out a little on the pricing side.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

my friend does residential snowblowing.

his setup used to be a 4x4 quad with a plow, and a small trailer with a snowblower/shovels.

used to help him on his route, he would pop the blower off and one would plow, one would snowblow the walks, and then help finish the driveway.

worked well. dont do it anymore though.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do snow removal. I feel the snow removal services are easier to get compared to lawn care. People need the snow removal a lot more than lawn care. Make sure to check with your insurance that you are covered under snow removal. Many companies just feel that they are covered, but really are not. Also be prepared to pay a lot more in liability with snow removal services.