Does Anyone Do This for a Full Time Living?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, May 25, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if there are any full time exclusive pond builders in this forum. Seems like alot of the threads are by homeowners or contractors toying with the idea of getting into it.

I would like to hear some full timers sound out. I am really curious about the business. I am a landscape design/installer. I love nature. I feel such a strong draw to water feature building. I have never installed a pond yet, but I somehow still have a feeling that it pond building will become my primary craft sometime soon.

If any of you have any stories you would like to share about your businesses I would love to hear them.

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still trying to get to the point that ponds are my main business. I think I'll always do the all around hardscape business though. I just like everything that deals with landscaping. Everything from softscapes, hardscapes to maintenance. I grew up in a place called Fox Creek and ponds just come natural to me. I love any natural water areas or replicas of natural water areas. My main problem is the average homeowner can't afford the ponds I build, and the people that can are just straight up cheap. lol!

3. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

I am trying to grow into a full time pond person but will work for food till then.Hardscapes,softscapes,fences,excavating,hauling etc. are paying the bills till I can rely totally on ponds, but each year gets better. Pond people tend to know other pond people, so quality work can get you plenty of leads. Also have leads coming from (1)large greenhouse (where I buy my water plants)-they don't do installs or maintenance (2) "little" local place called azponds.Have been thinking of trying a liner type swimming/dipping pool w/pool filter.Like a backyard pond w/falls just chlorinated.

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for responding. I like your website Bob. You have done some very nice projects. Nice ponds. Looks like you do alot of walls and pavers also. Is there pretty good money in that in your area? My landscaping projects are fairly small. Maybe $2000 to $5000 on average. I would like to get into bigger and more high end projects like you have done.

I am learning as I go, so I am also learning to be patient with growth. I am bidding a small pond for a client, and a large pondless waterfall for a fast food restaraunt here. The owner wants a 40' long stream and falls across the front of the building. I am trying to figure out what to charge. It would be a great project to launch my pond career though.

Anyways, good luck to you both.

5. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Water is all we do...

6. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

I have yet to get into doing ponds as a profession, I posted awhile ago (2006 sometime) asking the same question and didn't find anyone saying that they did, I haven't been on the site for some time, but I am seriously considering starting out next year somewhere around April with the first release of advertisements and going from there. I've built two ponds so far at the house, ~600gal and ~850gal respectively, and have had very little trouble with them. The only problem which I did not foresee was that the first one was too small :D, so I had to make it bigger a couple of years later.

I don't know what it would cost to get into this seasonally (April - September), but the only tools you'd have to get up front would be a shovel and a wheel barrow, and a truck. If I do go for it next year, it could be my summer job for the next three or four years while I'm in school and then I could sell the company when I'm done with it (hopefully for a fair sum).

I have a few concerns, but only one is really suited for this forum, how difficult is it to use a skimmer instead of a submerged filter? Does this affect the final cost very much? I might just start a new thread for some other questions about the skimmer/filtration.

7. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

i know a couple of pond only companies. one guy i met in 04' at a b.a.p. class. he was just getting into it. we have kept in touch since. he is doing really,really well. he credits his sucess to tradeshows, seminars he does for ole' ladies garden clubs,mastergardners etc... and a couple display pondless waterfalls around town.

8. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

If you are thinking about going full time in pond building I would check into Aquascape Designs. They are the largest water garden business in North America. They want to give away their secrets on how to build a very successful business because in turn it makes more money for them. They have all the literature, marketing, construction info a person could want.