Does anyone do this or seen this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Hello. Over the past summer I saw landscaping crews trimming hedges and shrubs. Normally what I do is trim the Evergreens and the things that grow back tall every year ( Rhodidendron, etc.) However, some of these companies I've seen dont care about what type of shrub is it, and just trim EVERYTHING! I saw shrubs getting trimmed with a hedge trimmer that included ( dont mind the spelling): Rose of Sharon, Japanese Maple, Holly, Weeping Cherry, Japanese Barberry, and Azaela. I usually just leave these bushes the way they are but when you guys trim do you trim everything??

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt will suggest leaving the "natural" look on some plantings, but if the customer insists, he will trim them how they want. I can NOT stand to see azaleas trimmed into ballshape forms. I think it makes the landscape look bad, but if the customer is paying and they want ball shapes, then ball shapes it is.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Very few customers like the natural look but you got to know when to trim certain shrubs or you will lose the blooms. And yes we use hedgetrimmer of different kinds on all bushes.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That is strange, ball shaped azaelas. But, if trimming shrubs regularly, the customer better not expect it to bloom.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

problem is if you dont trim back those ones you mentioned sooner or later they will simply get to big, so Yes they were doing the correct thing probably. We took on a school contract this year that included (as it always had) complete LS Maintenance, however the idiot before us had NEVER cut back the azaleas and they were 8-10 flippin feet tall and looked horrible!

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Certain plantings spirea, hydrangea, holly to name a few, we trim but trim by hand using pruners, got one place with 48 plantings to trim nearly half really need to be hand pruned if you want them to look good. Not as labor intensive as it sounds, we get through it at a pretty good clip.

7. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

.........trim it ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! :waving:

Dennis

We do as the customer request. payup

Dennis

8. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I trim everything but I don't shear everything. If it is something that you want to stay natural you should trim individual branches out to reduce the side don't just whack off the tops this causes abnormal growth and if done at the wrong time can really hurt the plants. I put in a landscape about 3 years ago and it looked great. But this year the maintanence guys decided to trim the bushes. He sheared my koran lilacs at the end of the summer now I bet I get a call when they don't bloom next year. ARRRG

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Lol I don't trim them necessarily like a ball but I usually take off the shoots and overgrowth, then take off a little more so as to (usually) shape it up the way it WANTS to be so all I'm doing is giving it a clean face, so to speak.

Holly's is a given around here, I normally do boxwoods, azaleas and holly's all the forementioned bushes are my favorites for the main reason they are some TOUGH bushes you can't hardly kill them if you try and I like the density and thickness, feels righteous on the trimmer unlike those dang angel-branch bushes where you sneeze and the entire bush falls over the branches so dang thin lol.

The only bush I don't like trimming is them things with the Jesus thorns. Now I'm not sure if that's the proper botanist name for it, but it's them thorns are real thick and get at least 2 inches long and if you ever step on one, that's where the name gains meaning.

Some bushes don't get trimmed per se, like rose bushes, I just clip a few branches with the shears and it's done, same goes for any bush that doesn't truly warrant me starting the trimmers.

Say, ever see a milkweed so tall you thought it was a tree, LOL!