does anyone do this

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cspaugh, Feb 13, 2008.

1. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

I want to try and sell the idea of small garden plots on clients property. Just wondering if anyone else was doing this, and how to arrive at a fair and eqitable price. I know I will have to bring in ammendments and all that, do I just charge as if it were any other install. Any positive input greatly appreciated.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You may want to market this to apartment dwellers or condo owners who have outside patio's and in your price include something like a once a month maintenance program. I'm not sure how to charge for something like that but its an innovative idea.

3. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

lots of looks only one reply, whats up?

4. psychodoe

psychodoe LawnSite Member

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. My wife grows all her plants from seed in a very small green house so getting the plants are really cheap. Building a 5x5 box is about $14.00. We have a large compost pile that we use for my wifes beds. I even thought about giving the client a plastic bucket with company logo to use when they harvest.

5. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

well thanks maybe i will try this somewhere else

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Get your feet wet - and an (accidental) underbid here and there will teach you a lot. Analyze where you can avoid the same mistakes.

To me, charging by the hour seems fairest to everyone as neither you nor they get ripped off...but if a bid is required (and most jobs will) make darn sure you won't get hurt financially - do this by slightly overbidding.

Can't be too afraid to fail - best advice. Remember, you're doing this to pay your bills, invest in your business...and to have some fun with a portion as well.

Good luck!

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Check your PM cspaugh..........

8. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I just moved out of an apartment complex, and everyone had a deck or a patio. I had a deck and had plenty of sun and I was the only one in view that had anything growing on the deck (flowers and veggies all potted) I was in view of about 50 other apartments. I thought of the same idea let me know what info you might come up with.