Does anyone "dump" their leaf loader??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Jul 25, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am looking to have a leaf loader swing away mount fabricated and have a question. Does anyone have theirs mounted so it dumps with the body??? If not, do you see it as a problem??? Thanks.

In a perfect world, I would mount it to the frame so it wouldnt have to dump, but that cant happen.

2. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what type leaf loader you have, but here goes.We have the trac-vac leaf loader, not as nice a unit as giant-vac or billy goat, but does the job well. We had a swing-arm made up by a welder that slides right into the hitch mount, the leaf loader is mounted on the swing arm and locks in place during use and transport. We use ours on a 1 ton dump with a built up box in the bed, 8'. Anyway, when you get ready to dump, simply unlock the swing arm, swing to one side of the truck and relock to keep from moving, then proceed to dump. Then swing back in place and relock. Really works good. Saves a lot of time dumping leaves. Hopes this helps.:D

3. KenH

from CT

I wanted to carry the loader and a trailer, but my hitch sits pretty far under the bed. A hitch extension would not be strong enough to hold the loader and the trailer.I have a Giant Vac......does anyone think it will be a problem if it would dump with the body??? I could always turn off the gas so it would not flood, but what about the oil???

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

The giant vac swing aways are meant to go into your receiver and swing out of the way for dumoing. I have seen a few guys rig the leaf loaders on their trailer's tongue. This may be a viable option. I do know that giant vac offers some kinda optional receiver mounting kit for the swing aways to tow a trailer, but I wouldn't trust it. The weight of the 16 HP motor flexing on the swing away deck is not strong enough.l We've had to do some serious welding to support the original design as it is already.

5. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Hey Ken...

I got an adjustable hitch, mounted it to my dump body and it works fine. Dosn't get enough angle to flood or get oil in the head.

I'll attach a pic, don't know if you can see it but I still have access to the pintle down bottom... so pulling a trailer is no prob.

Trailer mount wouldn't work for me... too much dump over-hang.

box.jpg

6. KenH

from CT

Hoagie.....That whole unit dumps after it swings away????

7. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

8. KenH

from CT

Take a look how far my hitch sits under the bed.....ok for pulling, bad for holding a leafloader. Thisis why I was thinking about mounting it to the side of the body and have it swing away/dump with the body.

dcp_2793.jpg

9. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Holy over hang :eek:

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Man, that thing looks like the ambulance Jesse built for doing wheelie on monster garage. I've never seen one with so much overhang. I would add supports to the side of the truck frame and mount another receiver just for the loader.