Does anyone edge mulch beds with a power edger or manual shovel.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HDB LAWN PRO, Mar 10, 2006.

1. HDB LAWN PRO

HDB LAWN PRO LawnSite Member

If so, what is best power edger to use in yard to give a mulched bed a new edge, without all the work.

2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

3. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

What did you give for a bededger?

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

a stright edge shovel lol works for me and its cheap

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I did that for 3 years but I got tired of shoveling the dirt into the barrow and hauling it and all of it just back-breaking work (especially when there's a LOT of edging). Sometimes I could get away with dumping the dirt right into the bed itself (then put mulch over it) but that doesn't always work (such as when the dirt clumps, etc). However, shovel and barrow works good.

Last year I bought a home-owner's model Stihl edger ($240), forget the model number but it's one step below commercial and it's really nice, fairly a one-handed operation it's almost like a weed-eater but it has one blade and ok it's not as b-b-b-bbbad as the wheeled model but it gets the job done without the back pain.

6. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Are you talking about edging the outside borders of beds (like bricks or pavers)?

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The stick edger topsites is talking about is a good "line drawer." It will make the important intial cut along the turf, but the rest of the job is just plain hard work! I have used the stick edger, then a half-moon edger to cut a bit deeper and make the first attempt at clearing out the trench. My goal is to get a cut about 2 1/2" deep, with the bottom of the cut gently sloped out into the bed. I agree with topsites - when possible, spread the dirt in the beds, to be covered with mulch, OR put it in a wheelbarrow and take away. If the dirt is reasonably loose a square edged, long-handle shovel works best for me to scoop out the debris, into a wheelbarrow. If the dirt isn't so loose, then a mattox is needed to break it up so that it can be scooped out.

My approach is to feather the mulch edge to the bottom of the cut. This leaves a deep cut at the turf edge, an edge that can be maintained with the same stick edger to make the initial cut. I have made nice deep cuts for some customers, feathered the mulch neatly down to the bottom of the cut, only to return next week to see the customer has returned with a rake to "fill the trench" raking off some mulch in the process. Why did I go to all that work, only to NOT have a good edge to maintain through the season???? I am not a happy camper when this happens. For whatever the reason, they want the turf/mulch edge to be at ground level.

8. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I still use a maual half moon edger, works out fine until i get around to buying a brown bed edger or something like that.

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

im purchasing 2 brown trenchmaster's 991H this month im told they make quick time lets hope so