Does anyone else hating cutting commercial sites?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Baseballer1100, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

I have one commerical site and so far not only has it been hell on me but on my ztr as well. there is trash everywhere since it is on a busy road people always drive through the 3 acre land whcih makes for a bumpy ride, there are gophers, rocks everywhere mostly coming from the use of them in landscaping, the grass is terrible i wouldnt even consider it grass, if you could only see this place...but its my uncle so i try to do the best i can and that is basically the only reason i cut it but still i would rather cut 5 residental yards and make the same money i do cutting the one in less the time but it is a good income.....Sorry i just had to post this rant...

2. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

Should be hate in the title sorry

3. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

That's just the way a lot of commercial properties go, especially grocery stores. Sometimes you get the bear...and sometimes the bear gets you.

4. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

I couldn't agree more! At least most homeowners will keep their yards halfway clean.

5. tm ent.

tm ent. LawnSite Member

I know what you mean. I cut 10 restaraunts and they are the same way.

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I cut some commercials, and have come to a conclusion.
    1. If the property is within 3 to 7 blocks of McDonalds, there is very little trash, since everyone is still munching on thier french frys.
    2. If the property is over 7 blocks, you have 80% McDonalds crap - 10% Hardies, and 10% of the rest.
    3. Cigarette packs make a big mess when mowed, and have decided that 80% of the cigarette packs thrown out the window are camel box.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I do very little commercial work, a few that are owned by a good client of mine. One is a small strip mall, we empty the trash cans 2x weekly, and clean once a week. I have to say, the majority of the stuff we clean-up there is cigarette butts! Sometimes it seems like hundreds.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i do the popeyes chicken in my area,they are always full of trash

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Owners of these places dont usually care about litter control, they figure it will either get mowed of just blow away. I no longer pick up scraps of paper on commercial sites---waste of time.

10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I love mowing my commercial properties. Yes there is trash to deal with but some cleanup should be factored into pricing. What I love the most is being able to show up at 6am and get to work (or if really busy work until dark). I even put some lights on my ztr for when I get really behind, like right now. I have an Insurance office to do in the morning. It's great, you mow before anyone shows up to get in your way, and about the time you finish up you can start on the residentials. You can't touch a residential until 8am without really pissing some people off. I try not to mess with residentials before 8 or after 6.