1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have old skidsteers (pre 1980)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leaflandscape, Feb 6, 2007.

1. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any older equipment, bobcat skidsteers in particular. I want to know if you charge as much per hour or for rental on older equipment versus newer rental equipment. My thinking is that if your older stuff can do the job almost as quickly as newer stuff, and looks decent, then you can charge as much as new equipment. I've got a buddy who says you can't in good conscience charge the same for old as for new. What do you say?:confused:
  2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If your using the machine to do the work ,regardless if its an older machine then you should charge what it takes to get the job done. Your making money off the machine doing the work ,,not on how good looking the machine is
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

You have to always charge as if it is a new machine. Someday, that machine will need to be replaced, and if you are smart, you will already have a way to pay for it. The customer should not see a price difference between using old vs new.

Imagine you do the same job for a customer year after year with your older equipment. Then something happens to it and you replace it with a new machine. The next time you are at the customers performing work, you bill them 30-50% more because you have new equipment. They will be looking for a new service provider.
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

When doing estimates, I have usually figured in the cost of the equipment like it was going to be rental equipment, either from a local source or the dealer, whether it is owned or not.

This way, if something breaks and you need to get a rental, you are not out any money. Also, if you need to rent something for an extended period of time, I usally figure the first week as a daily rental, and every week thereafter on a weekly basis. That way, if you run into delays due to weather, supplier issues, etc, you are also not out any money if you take it back after two days and have to wait to get back to the job.

Hope that makes sense!
  5. leaflandscape

Great points, the rental thing is how we've been doing it on most projects, but for things like basic dig-outs or soil moving we've been about $70 per hour with operator, charged from leaving the shop to returning.
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you can get as much for an old machine. If you take an old gas powered Bobcat with friction clutches there's no way that machine can keep up with a modern diesel machine, and therefore it's not worth as much.
  7. leaflandscape

You're not wrong, it's slower than newer machines. Once it warms up it's pretty quick, because there's a fast and slow belt setting (I know, that's old school technology). A lot of your time is in operator experience, and I've been running this machine alot and I'm able to make it work about as quick as it can.