1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else like pistol grips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I like them. I like being able to push down on the handles if you have to go over obstacle (rock, hose, etc.) That is the biggest reason. I don't find them to be too bad on the hands. On a long straight run, your hands just hold the handles and guide it here and there. Anyone else actually like them?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have one pistol grip and one ECS w/b. I prefer the ECS, but honestly, I never had any hand/wrist problems with the pistol. You're right, they are much easier to pop over obstacles.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Can you even pop over obstacles with the ECS? I have never tried them.
  4. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Never used an ECS but I like the pistol grips. I used to run a 36" JD WB with the pistols and loved it. Tough machine too. As long as I wear gloves when using one it does not hurt the hands.
  5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Yuppers, have never used anything but pistol grips,easy to lift the front of the deck and easy to operate.ECS just looks like the handles are too close to lift the deck or climb a curb,I never used one so I could be dead wrong.I don't think it is a matter as to what is better but to what you are comfortable with.T bars look easy to operate.Seems to be more of a personel prefrence on the type of control system you choose. They all work so find what works for you.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That is all we have on all our 8 WB's (52's and 61's) btw...
  7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

REALLY really easy to raise the front end on the ECS system. Just pull back SLIGHTLY on the handles and it comes right up, no downward pressure needed!!!!!
  8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Ive tried them and didnt like them. If you get hit by a branch, (common in a lot of yards, to have low branches), and react by letting go, that mower can cause damage. The toro T-bar is much better.
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

All of you besides Rod must be young guys. Pistol grips are really hard on you. Wait till your hands numb after the first yard and stay numb for the rest of the day. Esc or the Tbar are much more closer to the natural movement of your hands. Trust me spend a few extra dolars and you will be one happy camper .
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Pistol grips suck, and what Rhett says above is the truth. After you wake up a few times in the middle of the night with numb, buring hands, you won't love those pistol grips so much.