1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else spray weeds after 3 frosts?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason's Super Duper Lawn, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Jason's Super Duper Lawn

Jason's Super Duper Lawn LawnSite Member

Just curious if anyone else sprays weeds after having 3 or so frosts:confused:
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I'm finished with weed control on Thursday, unless I get a new customer that has weeds. then I will go ahead and spray as long as daytime temps are in 50s. you will get slower but more effective results in the fall.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I wouldn't go by frosts!

Like Indy stated look at daytime temps and also if the dandy's are green you are good to go!

Depending on the year you may be able to spray up until late Nov. As Indy said it will be a much slower kill.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I just did the other day. Just 2 lawns. Winter annuals are popping up already and the fall generation on dandilions are growing like mad. I didn't have any "special" cool weather product though, just used Surge at the highest label rate through my permagreen. Daytime temps here are over 50, actually been low to mid 70's agin the past couple days.
  5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

did some today.
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

As long as the ground is not frozen and daytime temps are above 35.
  7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all of the above! I'm done with mine, except for new sales, but if I had more to do, I wouldn't be shy about it.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I did blanket apps all day today. Like someone said, as long as they're still green I wouldn't hesitate to spray them.
  9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

MStine, what do you use to spray weeds when it gets colder? I have used either Three-Way Amine or Momentum at the mid rate with spreader sticker being addes at the higher rate and have good results. I know a lot of guys use either Quicksilver or an ester based formulation but I have not seen the need yet.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Me too. Taking on some new customers with weed issues. Got one lined up for Saturday so he can get his leaves up.