Does anyone else use a small truck for route work?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by minilawn, Apr 10, 2013.

1. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

I'm using a 2012 Nissan frontier right now, but am making the switch to a F350 soon

2. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

steer clear of the powerjoke they do bad things to peoples wallets :laugh:

3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is ten years old and I am only out the cost of fuel, oil, and a set of ball joints. Don't believe the advise of people that don't own one. I suggestion, do not chip it. They come from the factory maxxed out.

4. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

you are probably very lucky if I remember right ford refused to pay navistar over the powerjoke spat?

5. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

I am speaking of my experience. Some had problems but everyone I know that had problems had done performance mods or did not follow the proper maintenance schedule, expecially flushing and replacing the Ford Yellow Gold coolant in the specified intervals that were revised in later year model 6.0 diesels.

Mine may lay down tomorrow, but it has been a good truck for 10 years.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Once again you need to get all the facts straight and the whole story before you begin to bloviate.

The issue was over the early 6.0 engine and not the 7.3. The suit was on warranty issues with the 6.0 and pricing of the 6.4 diesel.

http://www.dealersedge.com/ME2/Site...70C00&SiteId=8FE37FB59D10488FB91B2D037740333E

Navistar sued later on that year because Ford stopped payment because the 6.4 engines had too many issues.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Man I just love it when the truth is shown.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Sarcasm, the refuge of a shallow mind. :rolleyes:

The 7.3 is a very reliable engine. When I hear "Powerstroke" I think 7.3.

Unless you're hauling 2 ZTRs and a couple of walk behind mowers there really is no need for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Say you use a dump trailer or a gooseneck flatbed then yes it would wise.

For a small operator a half ton long box is a great platform. A ranger or Colorado, Frontier or Tacoma whatever compact for a couple for a strictlty mowing operation is dandy.

9. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

My Tacoma pulls a 6x10 v-nose enclosed just fine; 15mpg if I don't get on it too much Thumbs Up

Trailer has a 36" V-Ride, Honda HRC 21", blower/edger/hedge trimmer, plus gas cans, tools etc. Now, I did spend the $300 to have brakes installed, and another $150 for the brake controller... but not having brakes was just not an option for me. :rolleyes:

10. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

We use these. 4 cylinder for mowing small city yards.

photo-trucks-small.jpg