Does anyone else use a small truck for route work?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by minilawn, Apr 10, 2013.

1. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

My trd Tacoma had no issues pulling a 12 foot trailer with a 60" ztr, walk behind, and trimmer.

4.0 liter v6, but I really don't have a heavy foot. Stops fine but anything bigger I'd want a half ton.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Hey lawn_jockey, those rangers are really nice. Where did you get the beds from, and are they hard to install?

3. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Member

Thought I would bump this. I run an 87 toyota at the moment. An f250 for bigger stuff and plowing. My 12 foot trailer with walk behind and 60" dixie can still be a son of a gun to stop in the rain. This would probably be fixed with trailer brakes but I plan to upgrade this fall.

I would never consider pulling more on a regular basis . The truck will pull a house but stopping is difficult in less than ideal conditions. I will miss the nimble small truck and my 25+ miles a gallon without the trailer. I will especially miss a truck that just never has a problem and if it does I can fix in the driveway in an hr.

Z

4. minilawn

minilawn LawnSite Member
    from CO

I no longer drive a small truck... I miss the MPG but my k2500 makes more money now doing everything I need.:dizzy:

I think there is a place for the small trucks, and if I can grow to a point where I have a small route full of small lawns for a second crew, maybe it will be in a 4 cyl truck. The problem with small trucks now is... they don't make them anymore! :dizzy: