does anyone else?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

when i work i wear long pants no matter how hot it is t shirt, hat, sun glasses and a resporator the good one that is $30.00 and home depot. i started wearing the resporator cause of blowing my nose in the shower and a runny nose down the back of my through and seeing all the dust and crap you inhale.. at first i thought how dumb i must look to people but after wearing one i dont think i will ever cut again without one
    just was wondering if anyone does use one to or is it just me? and i will tell you this if you do try one, you will always use it. try it lol:jester:

2. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

When It gets hot, I stop wearing my company tee and switch to a tank top. If it's above 60, I wear cargo shorts. I'd rather not suffer heat exhaustion. As for the respirator, I don't wear one, but, it's probably not a bad idea. I do however always wear ear protection. As for the tank top, I'm thinking about getting my company logos on a few of those this year.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I always wear my company upper wear. T-shirt, sweatshirt, uniform button up. My favorite is a long sleeve t-shirt with a short sleeve button up w/ logo on chest. Jeans in winter and shorts in summer. Steel toed boots, safety glasses and ear plugs a must. I just deal with the dusts, no respirator for me.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont wear anything for my ears. i am almost def from my younger years of playing my music to loud

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I ALWAYS wear long cargo pants, tee shirt or polo shirt, safety glasses, hearing protection, baseball cap ( with peltors to keep the sun off my ears) or a straw hat, and steel toe boots when I'm mowing & trimming. The only time I wear a dust mask is when the leaves are really dry and dusty. I have tried wearing the cool max shirts that wick the sweat away from you to keep you cool but they are too tight for me. They do work pretty good though.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather wear pants all the time because of trimming. But with the heat and humidity down here, I just can't stand it for much of the year. I rarely wear a hat also for the same reasons. Regular caps trap a lot of heat.

Safety shades a do wear, but very little and not near as much as I should. Hearing protection I never wear although I should. Respirator, don't think I could deal with that, although my sinuses and lungs would probably love me for it. It's about all I can bear to use a dustmask when dealing with dry leaves.

I don't wear steel toe shoes often either. When I do, I usually drop a block or something on the upper part of my foot. Just my luck.

Generally, I just wear cargo shorts, a tee or polo and ankle boots. I used to just wear polos all the time. But having a polo tan looks pretty dumb when you put on a tee shirt... LOL.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i use a ddust mask when doing leaf cleanup. i prefer loose fitting old mens dress shirts in summer over a t shirt. its much cooler and they are easy to get cheap at flea mrk or thrift store. shorts in summer.-its way too hot here in fla and heat stroke is always a danger.

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear shorts all season long. As another guy put it I'd rather not get heat stroke. Yes it hurts while trimming but you gte use to it. BTW I go through alot of socks cause they all end of stained green

9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

We wear company T-shirts (I have Polo shirts for the two salesmen), lite weight long pants, steel toe boots or shoes, I supply safety glasses clear or tented for the guys who mow and full-face shields for the guys who run the trimmers and blowers, also have leg chaps if they want to use them. Hearing protection ear-muffs or foam plugs, some of the ear-muffs are the type with a radio in them. Never thought about a dust mask or respirator, not a bad idea. I'd rather spend hundreds on safety equipment, than file one workmen's comp claim.:blob2:

10. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

lite weight work pants very cool in summer and great against the yellow jackets, t-shirts, and the nice ones, just plain color, next year company name and logo on it work boots
    saftey glasses a must and a resparator when doing dry dry leaves