Does anyone haul a mini x in a dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MJM316, Aug 27, 2008.

1. MJM316

MJM316 LawnSite Member
    from Mpls,MN

Hey everyone first post here! Been browsing for a couple weeks and for the most part i like what I see. I guess the title pretty much sums up the question. A little more info on me... I am looking at buying a mini x 6-8000lb range. I'm not set on a brand yet,just been out talking to the local dealers seeing what will be available between now and spring. I have a '06 Chev 3/4 ton that I will be pulling the equipment with. Any pro's or con's to using a dump trailer. Thanks

2. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of people do thast kind of stuff around here. Except they put skid steers in except. It seems like a pain to get it in since I dont believe they have a a ramp.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have seen them hauled in roll off containers before...as long as the trailer can handle it you should be fine...after all most dump trailer have tiedowns built into them am i correct?

4. MJM316

MJM316 LawnSite Member
    from Mpls,MN

Ya most do have D rings welded in them

5. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah we haul our takeuchi in the dump trailer. Trailer does have ramps that fit up under the trailer but they are a pain and are heavy as hell to try and get them back in place by yourself. We usually just throw them in the back of the trailer. there are 4 tie downs in it, but we just throw a chain across the blade and call it good.

[​IMG]

6. MJM316

MJM316 LawnSite Member
    from Mpls,MN

Hey Chris, nice looking set up you have there! Pretty much exactly what I am looking for. What length trailer do you have? Do you wish it was longer or shorter? Thanks

7. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I've used one of our dump trailers to haul mini exc before to save trip back to shop to pick up tilt trailer. We don't have ramps on dump trailer I just picked up one end of excavator and set tracks on trailer and then spin around and push and walk machine on in trailer.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Have I done it? Yes. Would I do it every day? Absolutely not. Dump trailers are a real hassle to load equipment into. It can be done, but if an equipment trailer is much more suitable for hauling.