1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have a waiting list?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, i am way overbooked now and im still getting prospects wanting me to service them. My solution to this is simple...i explain that since i am still full time in school, i can only service a select number of accounts, and that i am currently at compacity but i can add them to my waiting list for the next opening or the 2004 season.

Does this sound reasonable, and if not what would you change? Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When I tell people I am not taking new customers for the rest of the season for mowing, I get a lot of "Can you put me on for next year" kind of questions. I don't think it is unreasonable to have a waiting list, just don't expect all of those people to be around waiting for you next year. Maybe keep in touch and try to re-affirm they do want to be on for next year from time to time.

Good luck!

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

With you still being a full time student its important to have a waiting list so you can atleast concentrate on your studies. Since i am done with school and in this full time, if i get more and more clients i just expand the company and equipment.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

definitely get their contact numbers. when you're done with school or as time permits call them up and explain you're ready to accomodate them into your schedule.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Use this as an opportunity to weed out the bad apples until you get a route you truely enjoy.
  6. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

That is a good post from KENH, alost all buis have some they can weed out.
  7. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Right on KenH !
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends on what they want? If they want mowing we try to fit them into the schedule. Now if they want another type of service and we can't fit them in then what we do is schedule them for the first part of next year
  9. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We have a waiting list and we keep in touch, send them a letter at the end of seaon, reaffirming their position on our roster and it has worked out well in the past. In years past, we have had a waiting list for mowing. This year, our waiting list is mostly for projects and aerating, slit seeding, trees, THAT sort of thing.
  10. veltenslawncare

veltenslawncare LawnSite Member

raise your rates. if u dont have time
    if your making like around $30/hr raise it to 60
    im sure you would be able to find room for someone whos willing to pay double from what ur usually getting.
    maybe subcontract it out, or get ur dad, or brother to help you.