1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does anyone have accurate fuel usage on the Kaw 23

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Sep 18, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, quite simply im looking for some real world fuel usage feeback on the 23 kaw twin from those of you who have kept track of this. If you have accurate info, please post up :waving:
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm running two 23's on my WB's. They do suck more than the 17 kaw, I'm guessing about 20%. What's your "real" question??? Maybe I can give you the right answer.....
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete, if you would like me to specify, how about you post your info in the form of Galons of gas consumed per hour of use...AKA Gal/hr. That is honestly my sole question
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting about 1 gal/hr on ferris.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 2000 model 23 kawi was putting about 5 meter hours on each tank with the mulch kit running. About 6.5 meter hours side discharging.

The new 2003 kawi doesn't seem to be getting that good, at least not yet. It probably still hasn't broke in yet.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm a numbers nut so I know what my costs are...last week I checked the hours per gal in the 23 Kaw...about .8 hours per gal, discharging. I need to get a tach for it becuase it doesn't seem to have the pep it used to have when I zoom up the street from property to property. 89 octane...new plugs
  7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I am no longer using a 23 but I recall about 1.2 to 1.5 gallons per hour depending upon load.
    I guess the Cambridge guys have a point, but it sure is lower and it makes my eyes hurt.
    I'll stick to the way I'm used to.
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

here we go...again.
    English 101 one more time....
  9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting the same on my 54" 23hp Lesco Z-Two...
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Maclawnco- I think what Pete was getting at was that depending on the machines weight, deck size, etc. the fuel consumption is going to vary significantly. None of us are running the motor at full throttle without load.

Anyway I will provide you the info .8-.9 GPH

If you want to know the deck size, machine weight, my weight, engine oil viscosity/type, Hydro oil viscosity/type, grease I use on wheel bearings, spindles, and belt pulleys, Tire pressures, How often I change the air filter (I will stop here) I would be happy to give you the info. This information is very important to the GPH which you can expect to achieve.