Does anyone have an easy/automated way to spread tree and shrub fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Cheryl, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I know the “Vortex” machine (at Lesco) is out there @ $700 plus. But, I only have two large properties right now. I can’t see spending that much for using it six times/year. Can something like that be duplicated? I have a blower, pvc pipe, fittings, glue, pool hose, and rubber bands. What else do I need?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Ive always used a 5 gallon bucket and an empty soup can....Neat thing the vortex though...

I thouht I had seen a back pack speader/blower before, but I could not find a link...

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Assuming you have a irrigation system you could use a fertilizer injector. They fertilize continuously through the irrigation system. I have been using them for years. Here is some info on one company. You can charge the client 1,000 for the system and make a few bucks then just keep it filled. www. fertileearth.com

4. MarcSmith

The only issue with fertigation....is when you get over spray and it begins to stain depending on the product applied...

5. Az Gardener

The fertile earth system and product are designed for homeowners so they are no problem they use a bridge product humate based, no iron. I have even had the product remove scale build up on block walls that the sprinklers caused. I did play Golf at Troon in Scottsdale a few years back and the whole place was orange, giant boulders, sidewalks, it was awful. I don't know how that could happen at a place where they charge 300 bucks a round?

6. MarcSmith

In florida since water was kinda $$$ and water tables are high...well water is used in some places, but its high sulfur and high iron..Stinky plus the rust stains...

7. Az Gardener

Oh that smell is horrible. I grew up in Indiana and I still remember it from 30 years ago. They have a unit at the Firestone Estate for a while now with no problems but they may be on city water. I don't even know what city it is in but they tell me it is nice. That is a good point about the iron in the water, I will bring it up to the guys from F/E next week see if they have had any problems.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

How did we go from commercially spreading "granule" fertilizer on trees, and bushes, to injecting fertilizer on the irrigation system?

9. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Duct tape??:rolleyes:

sorry, i dont have an answer

but i am curious...six times/year? your fertilizing or wanting to fertilize trees/shrubs six times per year?

10. Az Gardener

Because you didn't specify granular and I was trying to help. I apologize for misdirecting your thread. Carry on with the duct tape and rubber bands.