1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any thing 'bad' to say about ASV products?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Hummer, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

I'm seriously considering the purchase of an ASV RC-100 and I'm doing as much research as I can about them considering my current physical location (Middle East). The primary use for the RC-100 would be for use with a Fecon Bull Hog in brush clearing after I get back home to Missouri this spring.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge or experience with the RC-100 that they could share with me? I want to hear both the 'bad' stuff and the 'good' stuff about them.

Likewise, if you have anything to say about the Fecon Bull Hog, that would be fine too.

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to forum. I sold the "white" machines for 8 years, and now work in the landscaping side of things. I still own a skid, but I bought an RC50 from my ASV dealer and have been very happy with it. IMHO i think that ASV makes a great product due to their focus on rubber tracked machines. They don't make anything else to draw their attention away. I would say that other manufacturers have better looking cabs, but I'm mainly interested in performance. It is in this area of performance where ASV excels. You can tell when you operate the machine that it was intended to be a track loader from the ground up, not a skid steer chassis put onto an aftermarket undercarriage, this is evident in the ground clearance, climbing, engine size matched to machine weight, balance front to rear, engine size matched to hydraulic flow, etc. I know for a fact that ASVs hydraulic power is superior to Bobcats highflow (I sold them), and I feel strongly that it superior to the others on the basis of having enough net engine hp to meet the demands of running a mulcher, driving the tracks, and performing multifunctions with the loader arms (up/down/curl) all at the same time without bogging the machine down and losing mulching head drum speed. I have spoken to many brushclearing folks that say that the RC100 is the best machine for land clearing for these reasons. the CAT would be the second choice, but I've heard some reports of the engine compartment getting clogged with mulching debris because the engine bay air is sucked in from right over the tracks just behind the cab causing fires in some instances. I haven't seen this myself,but most guys up here in Wisconsin are running RC100s for brush clearing. I also think you need to find out who your local dealer is because it makes a big difference on the type of product support you will get, CAT, ASV, Bobcat, or anyone else. Good luck in your purchase.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

guy here has rc100 for landclearing and loves it..
  4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

The undercarriage won't stand up as well as rigid UCs in rocky or high-impact conditions. I'm afraid I don't have a specific example, but it is fairly widespread that users in high-impact environments haven't seen the life that they'd like out of their suspended UCs.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I got something bad to say about ASV

I DON'T OWN ONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Other wise know. Personally would want a cat tracked skid, but not at the price you pay. So the ASV is the poor mans verison for basically the same machine with out the all the little goodies.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We run in Rock, DG, soil and rock all day every day. We still have the original track/under carraige on our first 257B, (1632 hours) while the rental store who has a huge Bobcat fleet is very hard pressed to get 1000 hours out of his tracks. trashing tracks on a suspended underacaraige is on the operator. Once you learn how to do what you need to do, they will outperform any rigid frame on the market. If you treat them like a skid steer, or like a rigid framed machine, you will trash the tracks prematurely, that's a given.
  7. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

I did a lot of research before buying the RC-100. Looking at all and then it eventually came down to either the CAT 287B or the ASV RC-100. I heard CAT has super dealer/service support and they did have better financing deals at the time however, CAT does not make a machine that has the power, speed or capacity of the ASV. No problems or regrets.
  8. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great replies & information everyone! I'm soo anxious to get home to Missouri and go check out the machine in person at a local dealer in St. Louis.

Does anyone know if the rubber tracks get damaged by the 'stubs' left sticking up from the ground after trees have been cut off by a Fecon Bull Hog or similar carbide cutter?

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if I was going to look at an ASV RC-100 I would just go with a Cat 939 and be done with it.
  10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

:laugh: but the 939 can't run attachments like the RC100 can... and its undercarriage isn't even suspended! :eek: