Does anyone have experience with Mobile Home parks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CreativeLawncareSolutions, Mar 28, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Just bid on one. About an acre of common area ground (all hillsides) and about 35 empty lots (the lived in ones are maintained by the current resident). I'm figuring 3 man hours is what this guy will take. Considering it's only every other week I put in a bid of $180.

Any horror stories from mobile home parks? That's what I was really interested in when I started this thread.

2. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

Used to do one in a college town, picked up on average 4 5gal buckets of beer bottles and cans. Always sucked.

3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I've done service in mobile home parks, but I was working directly with the residents there. Nothing out of the ordinary though... Tweakers roaming about, dogs trying to tear my legs off when they get out of their yards. Mobile home parks around here are generally a nightmare, but I know that's not always the case elsewhere.

4. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I hear you. I got a call last year for a small trailer park, I was like oh let's take a look. I get there and it is a small retirement community, about 10 trailers all in great shape spread out on about 4 acre's. We got the bid last year and this year. I have done some in the past that were a nightmare, and swore I would never do it again.

5. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

How could I possibly forget the tweakers and dogs haha.

6. zechstoker

Yeah, the one my dad use to live in over in Salisbury, MD was pretty nice. Each lot was about 1/4 acre, and homes were all nice. It really does vary by location.

7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The one I bid on today has 85 units crammed together. Didn't see any dogs. They must not allow them. There were a ton of cats, though.

8. zechstoker

Here's a satellite image of the one I use to work in. What you're seeing is probably 1/3 of the entire property. You can see how cramped it is though. Haha
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have one that has 7 trailers and larger open areas on each side of it. it is not the nicest looking place either. i just spray around every trailer, under the steps, etc. and kick all the trash, cans, or whatever next to the trailers or under the steps before i mow each time. takes about 10-15min to walk around the place every time before i cut.

i hate the place because of all the crap there. they have a huge dumpster but yet there is always trash everywhere. i just don't get it. anyways i get paid good for it so i live with it. the key is to check around before each and every cut. i mow every week and clean the place up and by the next week it's all messed up again. one time there was a piece of a bed spring i hit and threw into one of the windows of a trailer. another time on the first cut of spring i ran over a brake rotor hidden under the weeds. you just never know what is in the grass at these places. that is the worst part of them. the people there don't give a crap about it and the owner is never around and probably doesn't hassle them too much because he wants the money they pay for rent and doesn't wanna run them off.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

We dont have any mobile homes in Alabama.