1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have this truck or trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, May 11, 2003.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about next years purchases, and I really want a dump. However, I want to be able to bag and keep clippings, for my mondo compost heap that I have going.
    I want: An enclosed trailer and the ability to dump from seat from eXmark Z into the dump. I have seen guys with gates built on both ends of open trailers, but is it possible to:
    A) build a gate/ramp on the other end of an enclosed? (not likely, because it will screw up any shelves I want to put in)
    B) build a gate/ramp on the SIDE of the dump, so I can back up it and dump into it.

It would have be HUGE because the dump body would be pretty high up, so I am just wondering if anyone out there has done or seen this done? Thanks, Mike

ps. I dont want to lift the bags, and I don't want to dump on site. My goal here is to dump from the seat into the dump truck, with an enclosed trailer.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

There is a lift kit for Walker bagging mowers it has a scissor action that has a powered lift and lifts the hopper up over the sides of dump trucks. But since you don't have a Walker... There is also a truck with a container that goes up and down a chain and track deal (like a forklift) and you dump into that container and it lifts it up and dumps it into the truck. I forget what they are called but they're probably in Turf Mag under the green market section. Thats the only practical ideas or suggestions I can think of :confused:
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why not just get a body with fold down sides? Get some HEAVY duty ramps and just back right up them. OR, I saw on Friday a flatbed landscape truck with a side mounted lift gate. Just some thoughts.
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it that your bagging. are you getting extra cash for it :confused: or you just like working harder
  5. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I hear ya yo. I had that dream too. Could not come up with a practicle solution. Instead I lifted many tarps full.

I suppose you'd have to have a flat front trailer. Cut out the front and replace with a piece sturdy enough to support the weight of mower, you and grass up to the dump. Put it on a hinge and have it fit to the truck bed. The movement of the trailer and the truck while the mower backed up would definitely move the ramp around.... ????

The other alternative would to have a cargo van body instead of an enclosed trailer, and tow the open trailer (with dump) and then be able to back up the mower onto the open trailer.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Here it is.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

OK, How about this...

1. get a leaf vacc mounted on tongue of trailer and aimed to back of dump body, Dump grass in pile near truck , vac up when done...

2. Mulch

3. hump it into the back of the dump like the rest of us...LOL
  8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the non- solutions.
    Bagging for the reason I said in the original post, for my compost heap- I want the clippings.
    I do not want a different solution, I want an example of the solution I listed.
    I hate to sound like a jerk, but why post if you are not answering my question? This happens WAY too much here, lots of wasted server space...
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

In a similar situation with my walker and dont have the scissor lift on mine. Next walker for sure.

As far as the vacumn idea, I posted on here a while ago asking guys that use them how well they handle grass, which is much denser and heavier then leaves. The response was not great but the few that did answer also said the vacs dont work that well. Let me know if u go that route and how it works out cause Id like more opinions.

Last trade show I went to a couple years ago, there was a company that had a bin similiar to the posted link. However, this was the full bed length of the dump, and folded up onto the grass for travel down the street. Was a great solution but was an expensive option. However, now that IM back on the lawn crew and picking up the tarp is THE worst part of the cut, I may reconsider.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'll offer another "non-solution" for ya. There's a trailer that was at the Louisville Expo last year which was half enclosed, and half dump.
    I posted a pic, but can't remember what the subject line was to search for.

Actually, I think you should re-think the whole idea. Seems like a LOT of effort just so you can have grass for a compost pile. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the compost when you need it? It's pretty cheap.
    Think how much extra time and money you'll be spending your way:

1. First, you have to come up with an idea to make it all work. Which is what you're doing now.

2. You have to implement this idea, which will take time and money. And this could be substantial if you're looking into a custom trailer.

3. Then there's the actual dumping of your bagger at each stop (maybe more then once if the yards are large?).

4. Dumping your truck or trailer at end of each day.

5. Turning your compost pile from time to time.

I'd rather spend $20 on a yard of compost when I need it. How much do you really need?

Just some things to think about.