1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here do contract?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Oct 18, 2012.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same as ^^^^ and put upsale items as in bed maintennance and snow removal and give a list of stuff I do. This helps as a selling device.

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used or plan on using them.

3. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I do the exact same thing and have had no issues with any clients. the key to me is that it is labeled as an agreement not a hardline contract.

4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo...you got it. It's an agreement but keeps you in charge.

5. Premier GreenScape

Premier GreenScape LawnSite Member

I also do the service agreement as has been described above. I use it to detail what we will and will not do under normal lawn service, and to market our additional products. It also differentiates us from the guys that are not very professional.

6. acculawnsystems

acculawnsystems LawnSite Member

In the beginning we did not make the customer sign a contract. However, over the last 16 years we learned the hard way. It is vital to get a contractual agreement in place. We have developed an instant online quoting system in which lawn care companies can have customers agree to their terms before they do the work. This just helps keep people honest and will hold up in small claims court if you are doing a good job. Check out acculawnsystems.com.

7. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

So you are saying its an agreement saying what you will provide and there's is no signing of forms/papers.

8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Call it a service agreement if you dont like contrat.
    Keep it simple, state what u want, 90 day cancel,renews every year, set the price, 4% increase auto every year,

payement for month due prior to service, Ex: bill Jan 1 is for Jan service & payment is due by Jan 10th.

Our residential agreement is super basic, but its professional, our commercial contract was done by a lawyer, but well worth the couple hundred bucks.

9. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

My lawn clients sign the agreement and keep a copy for themselves. Nowhere on my agreements does it state it is a contract just simply an authorization for me to provide the noted services for the season as described in the agreement. It says what the service is, billing, due dates for payment, weather issues, etc....there's no termination fee or early cancel fee which is clearly stated. It does however state if service is cancelled for any reason, the current balance on the account becomes due upon cancellation. It basically eliminates any questions or confusion that may arise during the season.

I also add an addendum page for each client with a price list for different services (aeration...etc) they can sign up for so they have an idea of the costs

All my clients have no problem with it and if they did; I don't need them. I had one prospective client out of 100 or so who refused to sign one.

10. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

YES! I live an exit south of you, and many of us contract. I do it for level payments each month so I know my salary and budget projections. I make my profit during the winter when I have time to enjoy it. I don't have to have a selling point, they want me or not. We're full service and I have a degree in horticulture<<<<<I use this as my selling point. If you do a contract, make sure to keep good records of every service performed.