does anyone here own a flex deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Nov 20, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking at getting a flexdeck for my 48" lazer hp and I want to know if there are any of you out there, besides flexdeck, that have used it. any pic would be appreaciated. :)

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

they cost like $1,200 it's cool but not for that much sorry flex-deck

3. TClawn

I know the cost, and I am prepared to shell out. especially if it will articulate downwards so I can cut ditches, give me a 66" when I need it, and a 48" deck for the small propertys. not to mention 18" of trim side, no more getting wacked by low hanging hong kong orchid branches. :realmad:

4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Call me old FASHION, but I got a 36 and 48in fixed decks that are belt drive, I change oil, and filters once a month and blades once a week, I also replace all belts every 6 months, other than that, I never have a problem with any of my mowers. I've used about every mower u can think of and I still go back to the mowers that are so simple. However, let me say, I only do residential and my yards are less than 7,000 sq feet. So if you have small yds, I would stick to the smaller, belt drive mowers. If u do a lot of commercials, with a lots of cutting, then go with Hydro and the bigger mowers. O and hydro on a 36 in mower, come on guys, WHY???, even 48 I dont get it. O but you can cut when the grass is WET.....................UMMMMMM if the grass is WET, maybe you should stay off it until it dries. I can see Hydro on the Z-turns and standers. Just buy what's right for you .............

5. TClawn

amow2nd, you don't realize how nice it is not to have to shift or clutch. my quick 36 costs just as much as your belt drive, and is about as simple as they come. it is a single hydro, so no shifting, and REVERSE. something that I use all the time on small propertys. much better than a belt. for $2,000 I will take a single hydro over a belt drive anyday.

as far as the 48" goes, it is a Z, and I use it on residentials that are 7,000sqft. I would put my 48" on my 2,000sqft lots if I could get it there.

and I assure you, a 48" Z moves a lot faster than a 36" walkbehind. especailly if there is no gate, and you can go full speed. if there is a gate, it is about the same amount of time.

the flex deck would let me finish those even faster.

this is my strategy for rising costs: become quicker, don't raise my prices. the competition will either have to follow suit, which is not likely, as 90% of them are still using a husqvarna tractor from lowes. or they will have to raise their prices. giving me a better shot at a larger market share.

6. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

TClawn:
    I have not got a flex-deck but like yourself like the concept (one day I will however). I would suggest using the search function. I did and found quite a few users who had posted pics. If you have questions try emailing flex-deck. My experience was that Brad was very helpful.

Happy mowing
    James

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I for one think Brad has a pretty dang good product.
    A really really handy add-on that is better than most realize.

However, I personally do not like the idea of cutting on my mower deck.
    So, far as I know it can not be used like a retractable wing deck.
    Reason is because you have a hole in the trim side of your deck.

Secondly, in my opinion, most mowers come with barely enough power to run the stock deck.
    Especially those that would benefit the most from a flexdeck addition.

But one day, I would like to work with Brad to build this flex deck mower I have planned out in my head.

8. TClawn

well, that is the main deciding factor for me. if I can't pull it off in a couple minutes, and use it stock just like before, it is of no use to me.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you send me your email address, I can give you the name of someone who has one. In all fairness to Sean, I won't mention his name here on LS since he is no longer a member and has his own forum as well.

10. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Now there's an intelligent answer!!! True, so true.