Does anyone include Dethatching & Aerating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eirik, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Eirik

Eirik LawnSite Member

I own the equip.....And am thinking of including thatching and aeration in everyone's exsisting contract.
    In the past I would hit the accounts up for more money for these services and found people were turned off..... (too much, if it was really important why don't you already do it, etc.)

Plus, I have the equip. but if nobody wants to pay.....then the equip. is not making any money
    I have a friend in the business who owns a dethatcher and aerator and tells the people he has to rent it so he can make even more money.........Just curious if any of you include such services over the course of the year, and absorb that cost each month? Thanks

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

In the past I would hit the accounts up for more money for these services and found people were turned off..... (too much, if it was really important why don't you already do it, etc.)

If this is the case, you were probably charging too much, or trying to sell this to a Joe Sixpack client. If you're mowing for people who are barely profitable, don't offer the service free of charge, sell it. Ask if they are interested in an even better looking lawn. Find a high profile lawn that everybody sees, and get them to let you take care of it. If you can deliver what you promise, people will see it and call you. Some people will do anything to keep up with the Joneses.

I have a friend in the business who owns a dethatcher and aerator and tells the people he has to rent it so he can make even more money

Why be dishonest? I don't charge more or less based on whether I rent or own gear. It's so much for this much work. I don't think I would care if you had to rent or not. If your price was fair, and your work was good, whether or not you made money is not the clients' problem.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Aeration and dethatching are additional add-on's that can be added to my clients current packages. They are charged seperately from the lawn care.

I remember a quote that one guy took me once, "you offer a service to people that they can not do or do not want to do, so you are a special service that people need. Don't waste your time in offering stuff for free or lower than standards to get work. If people want the additional services, they will pay top dollar for it."

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Unless you are charging a hefty premium for regular service, you shouldn't offer aeration and such for free. If your customers are ones who won't pay for these services, market yourself to some others. Good luck.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

?
    I'm wondering should I rent a areator until I can get enough money to buy one? I was thinking if I got about 10 customers together then I could rent a machine and do them all in that day.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Figure on a full night of sleep and a whole day to recover after aerating 10 lawns with a rented w/b aerator. most (at least in my area) are not split reels......they are a bear to operate! I own one!:sleeping:

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

But there is no way in h*** I would aerate and dethatch for free. Also, I would not allow them to include the cost into the 12 month contract, then your doing nothing but financing it for a year free.

If I was in your position I would assume I had 3 choices:

1) Work my a** off for free - NOPE

2) Upsale these services and promote them during prime season thus making money with them, even if it's not from your regular customers. - This is what I would choose.

3) Sell the equipment - if option #2 didn't work this would be the only other one for me. I DON'T WORK FOR FREE.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Ditto what KirbysLawn said!

These are specialized services. If people don't want to pay for them...then they do not get them.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I own the equip.....And am thinking of including thatching and aeration in everyone's exsisting contract.

Talk about "giving away the farm"! Dethatching and aerating are specialized, premium services. I would never just add or throw those services into an existing contract.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

These are definitely add-on services that you should be selling to make more money rather then giving it to the customers for free.

Gravely_Man