does anyone know how to????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i think my rpm's on my 20hp briggs is low.. does anyone know how to turn rpm up??? i know the throttle cable his it pulled all the way so there must be a screw or something.. it is the v twin.. any help thank you

2. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I was wondering what this motor was on?

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what rpm is it at? how high do you want it?

4. mith

mith LawnSite Member

There should be a clamp holding the outer sheath of the throttle cable on the carb, you can losten this and pull the sheath and cable up and retighten the clamp, effectively this means the cable pulls further
    Or, bend the bar that goes to the throttle butterfly on top of the carb, in effect opening the butterfly more.
    A simple inspection of the carb should show what to do, basically you are just wanting to make the butterfly open more to allow more mixture through to the combustion chamber
    Hope this helps

5. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Id put the rpms at between 3650 and 3750. Any more and it dosnet seem to cut as well. Not sure why I dont build them. But it seems that the blades are going so fast that the air movement is to high and blows the grass down.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It's just like a race car if you rev to 6500rpms the car may go quicker than if you rev it to 7200rpms b/c the engine is at its peak power out put, any fster and you jus making noise

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Every LCO should own a tachometer and use it.

8. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yes you can hook up a tiny tach verry easly and they are fairly cheap and small. You can mount them on any gas tank. its allways good to know whats going on wtih your engine.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wind the Tiny Tach pick-up wire in a tight coil and secure it to the underside of the case with 2 wire ties and it can be used on all equipment. Makes a great hand held tach and will last for several years.

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, everyone should have at least one tiny tach, if not one for each mowers. I have them mounted on all my 4 cycles.

btw, you should not be running your engine above 3600rpm. not only will you be running over the the recomendation, you in all likely hood will be shredding your hydro pumps.