Does anyone know the answer to this problem.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vader, Apr 19, 2000.

1. vader

vader LawnSite Member
    from MS

I have a 48 Bunton premium gear drive with a 14 horse kawa. It is brand new. The first time I used it, I was mowing a hillside. I mowed it for about 15 minutes and then all of the sudden, thick white smoke came out of the exhaust for about 5 seconds. Thinking it may be an oil problem (I did check it before I mowed), I stopped the motor and checked the oil again. It was OK. That was 4 weeks ago. I mowed again, same hill, checked oil, same 15 minutes, and it happened again. Can anyone tell me why the Kawa is doing this. Should I take the mower back or just leave it alone. Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

it sounds likes there is a little to much oil in it,and running it on a hill allows some to get in the combustion camber,possibly thru the breather in the air cleaner,take off the air filter,look for an oil trail,or soaked filter.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

How steep is the hillside? The lack of constant smoke would make me think it was possibly a valve stem oil seal.<br>

4. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

I had this exact same problem today on a 18 horse kohler gravely. I wonder what it is?

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

and i had that problem on my gravely 3 whee;er with a 20hp kohlor magnum...

6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem is this......since most 4-cycle engines are not oil pressurized like a car the oil will shift on slopes or hillsides. Most 2-cycles do not have this problem and you can pay more to have your engines oil pressurized to avoid this problem. The oil is actually getting to the exhaust valve of the engine (since it is not level). You may notice on some old cars white smoke coming out of the exhaust...this is basically the same thing but with the car the oil has broken a seal which allows it to get to the exhaust valve.

7. vader

vader LawnSite Member
    from MS

Lonestar, is this a problem that can be ignored, or if it persists, could it shorten the life of the engine. Thanks guys to all the replies. The slope of the hill varies from 50 to 60 degrees.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

LoneStar, the engine in question is pressurized, it certainly isn't a splash oiling sytem.

9. vader

vader LawnSite Member
    from MS

Keith, regarding your answer to this problem, is this bad on the Kawa and can it be fixed or is this something that just happens.

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most manuals will tell you about cutting on slopes and hillsides for periods of times. I know that most (not all) 4 cycle engines for mowers are not pressurized (read you manual to check) and their manuals advise not to cut on slopes or hillsides for a period of time. The problem at hand is common.....meaning that the manual will tell you about the problem. The information that im giving you is not from experience but from an expert mechanic on cars and mowers....I have been lucky to be associated with this person. Just a general answer to most engines not any particular. <br>