1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does anyone know why?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Sep 17, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

why are mowers so loud? why dont they run the exhaust a different way with bigger mufflers? dont putting the muffler close to the engine reduce power to? i know it does in cars. so why dont they ever think of this? is there something i dont know? i dont see why for any reason they cannot make them alot quieter than they are.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Most the noise comes out of my mower is from the blades running, you can hardly hear the Kohler over the din of the turbofan effect a fixed deck with 3,000 rpms produces with the blades, but I like the sound myself, it's the sound of the fat lady singing 'the bs is over.'
  3. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Would a quiet mower have the same effect on an annoying neighbor at 8 am on a beautiful Sunday morning? :blob3:
    I think not!!
    :angel: :angel:
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

And if ya can't have fun with the neighbors why even work ? :D
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

One word.
    It would cost more to produce a quiet muffler.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ear plugs.

And if your customers are complaining about the noise then toss them a pair as well!

I have never heard a louder mower than Dixon's 5023's with the blower. The muffler on the Kohler engine is the smallest they make for that engine (that's what they have to use due to clearance issues). Iv'e owned a walker, an exmark, and demoed many other brands and none have hurt my ears like my dixon's. This season I FINALLY wised up and went to using ear plugs when using ANY equipment. I'm sure that my decision will pay off later in life!
  7. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned by previous posters, the engine is only a portion of the noise generated by a mower. The blades make noise. The belt makes a slight amount of noise. The pumps and wheel motors make noise.

That said, you don't realize how MUCH noise the non engine components make until you operate a mower with a quiet engine. I have a new Bad Boy Lightening Z with a 26HP Liquid Cooled Kawasaki engine. Even though it is the highest horsepower riding mower engine I have ever owned or operated, it is most definitely the QUIETEST engine.

Since the engine is so quiet, it is now much more apparant how loud all these other components are, not that they are any louder than any other mower. Before this mower, I have used a pair of Worktunes hearing protection/radio, but I just don't even bother with hearing protection now.

Even with the deck noise and everything, I can carry on a conversation with someone standing next to the mower with the mower at full throttle. For safety reasons I kill the blade if I have to talk to someone, but even with the blade running I can hear and be heard without having to scream.

BTW, I do not carry on any conversation beyond a few words without turning it off. I didn't want anyone to think that I am in the habit of having long discussions while sitting on a running mower.

Have a great day,
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention it is kinda rude but it's a lesson I learned after I left a weedtrimmer or a blower sitting on idle while I went off gabbing, those things apparently go through an amazing amount of fuel in short time... Last but not least, the final time I left a weedtrimmer on idle by the road a bunch of kids walked past and the only thing I could think was I hope they don't pick it up and decide to test it then one of them gets hurt...
    After that, since I still could not force myself to shut things off always, I turned up the idle on the trimmer until the head always spun so now I HAD to shut it off or it would walk away. 3 years later, my trimmers are back down to normal idle speed :)
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you want a catylic converter on them too? better yet... straight pipe!!! :p
  10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

hell, just get paul sr & jr to fix it up for you while your at it.