Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shawns Lawns, May 27, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

How long can you keep an engine unused if it has never been started or gas in it? I have a piece of equipment that i bought that i have not used since i bought it. I do not know when or it i will use it. Any help would be appreciated.:waving:

2. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Have you called a dealer? I'm not sure if an engine has a shelf life, but hey the dealer is worth a try.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Forever....

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If the unit is stored in a dry not too hot environment it should be fine, But if stored in high heat (tin storage building) during the day and cool air (moisture) at night it could cause surface rust in the cylinder and on the valves and seats. It could also dry rot the crank seals and float needle valve, Bowl seal and any other rubber parts.

5. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

It is stored in a wooden storage building year round. Do you think it would be better to start and maybe use the unit periodically or leave it the way it is?:waving:

6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

It will survive longer as is but eventually the gaskets and seals will decay....If your really not going to use it for a long time sell it and buy a new one when you do need it.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Here's what I would do. Add fuel stabilizer and start it up once a month and let it run for 15 to 20 minutes or use it. What kind of machine are we talking about ?

8. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

It's an Ariens walk behind string trimmer.:waving:

9. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i would try to spin the engine by hand until i felt compression, and leave it there. that way both valves are closed. some engines were known to stick an exhaust valve open, moisture went right through the muffler.
    i'd try to keep in the the original box, and get those silica moisture absorbing packets that come in shoes, the ones that say "do not eat"

10. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

They pickle aircraft engines and store them for decades. Make sure it has lots of oil throughout the inside, well distributed. Coat the outside with cosmolene (sp?) especially around bare metal. Dessicant packets will really help.