1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does anyone make there own Yard Signs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingismylife, Apr 15, 2004.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone makes there own yard signs? if so what stuff do you use to do it? how much does it cost? Where do you get your stuff from? I just want to do a basic sign maybe 3 at tops. i did a seach but didn't really find anything.
  2. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

get sign holders from a real estate company, print shop for sign.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

While mowing a customers yard, another landscape company stopped buy and waved me over. I stopped my HP and asked him what was up. He asked me to move my truck so that he could park his trailer (They were installing a sprinkler system). He asked me how many guys I had working for me cause he never heard of me. I said I work alone and ad about 25 accounts. He laughed. He installed one of those nice new lawn signs and the two guys took off...said they would be back for lunch.

All I can say is...that sign really comes in handy!
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i made my own signs last year after i had some professional signs made. i used 18x22" paper and glued it to some foamboard. i coated them with 5 coats of gloss coat (found @ art supply store). They came out pretty good, but in my honest opinion, i'd rather pay the $$ to have them professionally made. i payed $50/ea for 3 signs last season, if you buy in bulk they give a considerable discount.
  5. twoowls

twoowls LawnSite Member

I started buisness out with very little for advertizing so i had to get creative. So i went to my local sign printers and bought blank 18x24 signs @ 2.00 each. Then i got on my computer and made up a 18x24 inch poster with my logo and phone # on it printed it off on regular paper, i then took the poster and put it over thick cardboard paper and taped it to it. I hten traced the poster letters with a exacto nife and created a stencil out of the card board paper. This process is time comsuming but once you have done you can use that stencil over and over with some spray paint on the blank signs i got from the sign printers. All and All my cost is about one hour and a half on stencil 2.30 per a sign for supplies. With stencil i can make about 40 signs a hour. Nobody can tell i made it myself, nobody yet anyway.
  6. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

hey thanks for your ideas i think i am going to try and make my own this year and see what happens if they come out pretty good then i will use them. Has anyone ever used like 18x24 inch small thin wood with a wood stake as a sign? and maybe like a white background to bring out the color of the letters?