does anyone mow in the rain?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soccer911, Aug 20, 2004.

1. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

I have had a few days of rain and my schedule is getting messed up. I think I'm going to go ahead and mow today. Any advice?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I mow in it when I need to, but it can cause a less than exceptable look once it dries out. It all depends on how wet the grass is and how long it is to begin with.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont mow in the rain the grass looks awful and then the customer would complain so i gain nothing

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

No I won't mow in the rain looks terrible when finished.

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

No never. Crappy look. Bad for equipment also.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

same as you!!!!!:)

7. satch

satch LawnSite Member

Mowed in the rain till lunch today.There are few tricks one can use to improve the looks of the yard afterwards.The type of grass has alot to do with it also.As wuz mentioned above the equip will need a major wash job afterwards.Also the property needs to drain very well to prevent rutting.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends the type of propertys and the type of rain. Light misty rain, all properties are ok. Medium rain, thin lawns. And heavy rain, sitting on the couch watching the televison

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel the same way...

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Tiedeman has the right idea I don't like to but sometimes you have no choice. The one thing about cutting in the rain is your going to be breaking even this is not a money making day but if you have lawns that won't get done otherwise its better to suffer in the rain then look unreliable. And some lawns grow so fast that if you were to skip them your in for a nightmare next week.