1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone mow/trim/blow for $15 (esp. MN operators)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 17, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I am bidding lawn mowing and plowing for a 20 house association. The lots are approx 65x150 with nice ($300,000) houses on them. There is not that much actual grass to mow but the lots are somewhat awkward and would probably need to be hand mowed w' 22". The ass'n president says he has had bids for $50-70/month. I had thought about $15/cut which would put me right in the middle, but then I think that's way too cheap. On the other hand, I have a chance to get quite a few accounts ON THE SAME STREET so I could make up some in volume.

Looking for advice (especially from the Minnesota guys),

Joel B.
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look at your profit per yard and don't look at volume. Aren't in it for profit and not how much you stay busy? You can work 40 hours and go broke if you don't charge enough to make a living. Bid on it how much you want to make a profit per hour and not what a association president says bids per yard he is getting. He may be telling you that hoping he can get someone in that price range but actually getting bids alot higher now.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hoa. equeals 20 headaches.,for 1000-1400 per month. on top o that u got
    hard to access lawns that u have to use a small mower on. at 1400 their paying for a 20 day month. plus with $300.000
    homes, u may get homeowners that have their own ideas about how u should do your job.guess im being negative .
    whos to say. honest if i had the chance id look hard ,but dont believe id take it.
    im thinking 90 per,and do a super job so they will get use to it and not look for faults.
    just rethought . edging, trim, good cut an blow. im under on it.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

9750 sf lots for $15 each. You will go broke. I don't care how low you think your expenses are, you will not make enough to do it. If someone will do it for that, let them have it. Someone else can work for free.
  5. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

You need to get your rates in line with what others in your area are chargeing. As previously mentioned your expenses are likely to be more than you expect, and you will have many bosses telling you how to do your job, so charge for the nag factor also.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

So true, many HOAs can be PITA city.

Charge a PITA rate.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

$15 X 20 = $300 per week

What are you figuring for the snow removal rate?
  8. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

After you pay uncle Sam and cover your expense you will be working for free, or should I say paying money out of your own pocket to work
  9. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I am in the North Metro and Charge $35.00 up to 10000ft to cut, trim, and blow. People do not seem to mind paying this rate. Why do it for nothing
  10. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

I even charge my invalid ,fixed income,blind,deaf, mother 40$. " Hey ma the kids gotta eat...fork over the dough"