1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone not use a blower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oatka, Dec 8, 2005.

1. linexrandy

linexrandy LawnSite Member

Granted I'm not really a "business", I've never used a blower BUT I'm getting one this spring so i can do better work. I've always gone over the side walk like you said but that takes entirly too much time and doesn't do a good job. I'm currenty in college working on a Landscaping degree so i mainly do friends yards but plan on expanding this summer.

2. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

that solves the problem. i can provide good service, but not get too far behind in debt.....just have to find some cardboard.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Getting the cardboard is easy. Learning the proper technique is the hard part:D

You can use a broom. Slow but will do the job till you get more money. I have seen used handhelds for $25.00 Do some garage sale shopping

Good luck

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Just to concur with the others. If you want to do a professional looking job you will most definitely need a blower. Yard doesn't look much better then when it is well manacured, edged, and everything is blown off nice.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I hate the damn things, if everyone would obey the law then I wish they would ban them. That is the talk out here all the time, banning blowers. Problem is most overuse them, blow crap from hell to breakfast. It is really much faster to reach under a plant and pick up 70-80 % of the leafs than to blow 99% of them to the other end of the block then forget the pile, err... I mean pick them up. I worked for about a year without one. I had no problems took a little longer but no big deal the clients really appreciated the quiet. I even have a few who will not let us use them and thats fine with me too. As I got more employees they whined more and I broke down and bought blowers but they know if I see them blowing stuff all over I 'll take it away from them. One day the first time, a week the second, bye bye the third time. Yes you can get along without them.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard of the proposed bands, What do you do to get the grass off the walks? Keep in mind that we have some VERY wet grass at times that sticks to everything.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You can't go with out a blower, my first year it was a pushbroom, that was hell, and ive tried with my exmark cleaning off the drives, you end up dropping stuff off from you deck onto the drive in the process and you can't the stuff that goes under cars and in corners with just the mower. COMMERCIAL MOWER, BLOWER, AND TRIMMER, the three main pieces of landscape equipment IMO. (not counting truck and trailer) GOOD LUCK!