1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone offer junk hauling?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowingismylife, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

Hey guys wasn't sure where to post this but i was just wondering if anyone else offers junk hauling as a side service? how do you charge for it per load? how much do you charge?
  2. eliahwoodcutter

eliahwoodcutter LawnSite Member

hauling it is not bad. i don't do it that often but you can make some money doing that
    i have diferent rates.
    the problem is , do you have a landfild around you?
    and if you do check the rates per tone.
    i llive in maryland ,here is 65 for a tone.
    only have to pay if you drive a comerciall truck.
    i have magnetic signs on my truck , every time i go there i take them of and is free.this this place belong to recicle county.
    but now there are a lot of places where you can unloud you truck.
    i used to go to a place clouser to me but much expensive about $ 75 for a regular pick up truck.but if you are over louded they will charge you $100.
    what are you driving?
    my prices start from min.$65(if is just litlle bit) up to $300 dipend what are you going to haul.if you have a trailer can be iven more.if the junk is to far from your truck and to havy,then you will increase your price.
    good look!
    sorry for my english!!
    i am from est europe
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing i haul is aluminum. they pay me to take it, & i take it to a re cycler for $.30 a lb. that way i make more money!
  4. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

I drive a 92 dodge D150 i started hauling about a year ago and its almost out did my normal lawn care service. My first job i ever got we had to haul away a small small tv and like 10 large screens and we charged $50 no problem. Around here i don't think we could get away with charging $65 a load that would be nice tho. I charge $40-$45 per load and we had a lady call the other day and acted like that was to high and another lady told us that we were just a few dollars cheapper than other people. We don't take it to a landfill or dump we just take it to our home or if it's like metal stuff ovens,water heaters, washers etc we take right up the road and they take it for us. So we don't have really any cost but gas hauling the stuff. The best pay off is when you haul stuff that is in pretty good shape like a oven or dryer. Have you ever got lucky and hauled anything that was still in good shape?
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I dont haul a dang thing unless its my equipment. Nothing wrong with it if you can make money but Im in the lawn biz not Sanford and Sons plus we have no where to dump it at. Got a client that has asked me every week for past 6 months to haul a bunch of junk off and it aint nothing you could make any $$$ off of and I give her the same answer every week, think she would get it afterwhile.
  6. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing, hauling junk that is, since I just purchased an old dump truck. My dad started that way, cleaning out peoples basements and selling the valubles. He's now in the salvage business and a self-made millionaire almost ready to retire. So yeah, I might haul some junk. I was thinking of hitting up apartments and offering my services there.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would haul it if it pays good. For example..i done a demolition today that required lots of junk/trash haul off.

When I bid the job...I calculated 1 day with 2 good men and myself. Had lots of metal, a car and demolition of and old shed that had tin on all sides.

We finished in one day..had a local company set a 30 yard roll off on site. Loaded the car on my 20 ft goose neck, all scrap steel on my 16 footer and the rest went in the roll off.

I will net 1700.00 on the job for 1.2 days work. I'll takem like that anyday.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I used to get that Sanford & Son's crap all the time, when they ask can you USE this (which translated means: will you take it for free?). That's all I ever got out of it, I did it 2-3 times as a favor and then never again. Most of the time today, I never take those kind of customers on anymore, if you catch my drift... Thou from time to time one sneaks past my UHFPS-detectors, lol... (uhfps = ultra-high frequency pita scanner).

By the way, if you (not you, the other guy) pull your magnetic signs off your truck around here and they catch you, it's a class-A misdemeanor the first time ($1,000 fine) and a Class-C felony the second (10k fine + 5 yrs in the hole) and that would be for committing fraud. I don't believe in running a dishonest business, it will come back on you one way or another (even if they never catch you).

But yes, I'll haul so long they're willing to pay:
    $40/hour (un) / loading (so about 1.5 to 2 hours)
    $60 dump fee.
    $45 travel fee.
    Which equals roughly 175 dollars per trailer load, and that's usually where the bs stops. Come to think of it, I'll have to pay attention and see if quoting 175 gets me dirty looks, then I better start quoting 260. They can kiss my arse with that 60-dollar/load crap, it costs THAT much just to get in the dump, it costs that much AGAIN just to LOAD *AND* it costs THAT much one MORE time to drive out there and UNLOAD.
    I ain't in the mood to take it home but if I did, it would cost the same.... If it's still good for something then why are they hawking it off on me?
  9. eliahwoodcutter

eliahwoodcutter LawnSite Member

you sure think like business man.
    hauling junk it is dirty job. and you right by lauding the truck ,unloading the truck. ,
    takes a lot of time...
    so is no way to charge $45 in less you want to pretend you are in business.
    i did a lot of hauling for people that where ready to move. they trow a lot of good stuff . like good tools ...
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a good customer I will be happy to do so.

However be firm on your price, I'm lucky because I have a local land fill fairly close, and it's free if ya live in the same town......

But, I make it for a day that I'm not doing my primary JOB....

Like eliahwoodcutter said, ya can find a lot of good junk in junk,