1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone over price on purpose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Aug 10, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah... that’s right, does anyone over price on purpose? This year has been great for me, lots of new customers, lots of existing customers wanting "extras" done, and lots of calls from people wanting to get estimates for stuff to be done in the future. Right now I am booked through the first of September for more mulch, pinestraw, killing weeds, bed edging, etc... and then aerating starts up around the 2nd week of September which will go through the first of November for me. Not to mention, my weekly maintenance accounts. This being said, I am still having a lot of calls come in for odd jobs, so I said what the heck, I'll go look at them, overprice them and see what happens. Well, overpricing them still isn't keeping people from wanting us to do the work, I just don't get it. Just last week I did a job for a guy removing some ivy, tilling up some soil, and preparing the area to grow grass in the fall, $400 in 2 hours, no material costs (all labor). How many other people overprice things because they really don't need the work but then do it anyway (work overtime) because you will be making a lot of money?
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure wish I had your problem. Thank God your busy, not all of us are.....
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Only if I'm bidding on a property that I don't want.
  4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I overprice everything... $1400 trimming job took 4 hours and two dump runs..

Nothing like easy money, especially when the homeowner doesn't have the patience to do it (trimming and removals are the most common)..
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually overprice when I really feel that I don't wnat to do work for this particular person or when I'm extremmely busy, you have to make it woth your while....
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I always overprice. When someone calls and I give an estimate I tell them up front I'll probably be the most expensive and you get what you pay for. Its amazing how many people will pay top $$$ so they can tell there neighbors that they out spent them.

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So true, so true:D :D :D
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, exactly. That is what I do as well.
  9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

i'm working 12-14 hours per day six days per week to keep up with what I already have, so I've been overpricing every new call I get. And most of them are signing on...
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Overpricing is a great way to deter someone you really don't want to work for (unless the price is right) You can always tell when someone is price shopping and someone is serious.